Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: MandALot, Mandelbrot generator  (Read 2595 times)

NeW

• View Profile
    • Email
MandALot, Mandelbrot generator
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:22 pm »
Hi,

I am a 15 year old C++ developer, new to this forum and I would like to present you a project I've been working on for two months and a half.

It is a Mandelbrot fractal explorer, of which goal is mainly to create pictures of the set (I have attached an example of what can be generated to my message) . I wanted its use to be very simple and clear, therefore I organized the interface into separated parts: algorithm, interior colorization, exterior colorization, etc (the interface is in french for the time being).

When rendering a picture of the set, you have the choice between several colorization algorithms, and for each of these algorithms you are free to change all of the parameters. Furthermore, I implemented a layers manager to combine several renderings, which makes the number of possibility almost infinite.

I used Qt 5.4 for the interface, and SFML 2.2 for the rendering of the fractal and the picture generation. By the way, I'd like to say that SFML is a real help for almost all my c++ projects, mainly because of its simplicity. Therefore I couldn't imagine using only Qt to create this software.

You can download the software here (for Windows only): MandALot

Please tell me what you think about the project  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:26:02 pm by NeW »

Raincode

• View Profile
Re: MandALot, Mandelbrot generator
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:46:08 pm »
From what I can judge by comparing it with what Gimp shows me, it looks pretty good  ;)

NeW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:49:58 pm »
Thank you for the reply  :) I didn't know that GIMP provides a way to explore fractals, but it seems indeed that the colors are quite badly chosen

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 03:17:01 pm »
Nice project! :)

A while I go, I wrote some Mandelbrot generator as well, never found the time to make a nice GUI though.

It's really great what you managed to achieve here.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

NeW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

It is true that making a GUI is really time-wasting. That's also why I use SFML: I have created an extremely simple software with it in addition to this one. It generates pictures of the set the same way, but doesn't have any GUI. When I want to try something new in the algorithms, I just have to modify a few lines of its code, and when I want to implement the new algorithm in the MandALot software, I paste these lines and everything works well.

By the way, I find your generator very nice too :) . I just downloaded it and played a bit with it