Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Screenshot Thread  (Read 280716 times)

AlexxanderX

• View Profile
    • AlexanderX
Re: Screenshot Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2016, 07:10:47 pm »
Reminds me of Settlers of Catan(which I did for a school project a long time ago :D)

Indeed is Settlers of Catan, the new pc version from the company is terrible and I thought it would be a interesting multiplayer project to make. Still need to read about the copyrights about it.
Here you can find my blog and tutorials about SFML - http://alexanderx.net/ (died...) - http://web.archive.org/web/20160110002847/http://alexanderx.net/

Fewes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2016, 05:17:01 pm »
Here's a little polygon slicing system I've been working on. It's capable of slicing any complex polygon without holes and can handle multiple cuts at the same time. It's also generating a 2D mesh for every new shape that's cut off.

Here's a video of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyH2NCNS3pQ

AFS

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2016, 09:57:43 pm »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2016, 10:35:21 pm »
Fewes, your polygon slicing looks really impressive. I found the screenshot impressive but the video really shows it off.  8)

It's obvious that your "slicer" creates new topology when slicing. Even, in fact, new vertices at the slicing position. This seems to only be from the object's original vertices though as slicing through a slice seems to only be able to use the existing slice's vertices rather than creating new ones. This can be seen when slicing multiple times and at right angles where the slices that go through the previous ones don't line up as a straight line up as the slice would.

That's just a little thing though and it's pretty cool. I had to mention it because I noticed it; that's all  :P
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Mortal

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2016, 10:58:55 pm »

thats really a cool effect, i will try my chances to make it, pray for me lol

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2016, 11:11:01 pm »
Fewes, great job! I'm very impressed. And the slow-mo effect makes it all look even cooler :D
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Brax

• Wannabe C++ Game Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2016, 01:18:56 am »

This is awesome on soo many levels  :o

Fewes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:36 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm glad you like it!  ;D
Small update as well, I just added vertex coordinates to the OBJ loader (textured meshes ahoy):

Short video:
http://dslengine.se/polyslice/images/vertcoords.webm

It's obvious that your "slicer" creates new topology when slicing. Even, in fact, new vertices at the slicing position. This seems to only be from the object's original vertices though as slicing through a slice seems to only be able to use the existing slice's vertices rather than creating new ones. This can be seen when slicing multiple times and at right angles where the slices that go through the previous ones don't line up as a straight line up as the slice would.

A very keen observation, however it is actually caused by something else! The slicing is actually fully dynamic and will create new vertices exactly where the "slice line" provided intersects the mesh but what you are seeing in the video is how the line, or rather I should say lines are constructed from the mouse position.

There are several lines trailing the mouse that go between the current mouse position and the mouse position some frames ago. When slicing the system checks the longest of these lines until it finds one that can perform a cut (at least two intersections points and it did not start from within the mesh) and then performs it.
The angle of these slice lines are compared to the smallest line (going from mouse position this frame to mouse position last frame) every frame and if there's too big a difference (think I have it set to 15° in the video) they are removed.

The higher the angle allowed the easier it is to do long cuts (especially with a mouse) but if the user makes a sharp turn with the cursor bits that are close together are often cut with different lines which becomes noticeable like you managed to spot in the video.  :)

eggw

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2016, 05:29:27 am »
A lot of things have been added to xviii since last post:

-Units and factions are now fully creatable and extensively customisable via .txt files. Their sprites can also be created as .png files. You can also define bonuses/maluses on certain terrain tiles, for certain units, under certain conditions, etc.

-Visual ranges, as well as dynamic weather changes and time passage (which both affect visual range), with 1 turn representing 15 minutes. Beyond a certain point, units cannot be made out very well and their positions may not be fully accurate. Beyond even that, they are completely undetected.

-Lots of other minor neat things, like engineers being able to construct [destructible] bridges, and other stuff I can't remember. Gameplay is much more tactical and deep than it was.

My biggest regret was not going with ECS from the start. This deep into development, it would be a nightmare to rewrite everything. OOP is sometimes giving me problems, but I work around them as much as I can, and I consider the whole project an ongoing lesson.

We are currently working on a UI update that will make everything far more user-friendly. Menus are being worked on first, then the custom battle interface.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:32:19 am by eggw »

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2016, 08:42:20 am »
I'm quite strongly into YouTube, especially gaming related YouTube and Let's Plays and one YouTuber/Let's Player I used to subscribe to created a game during Global Game Jam 3 years ago called Heart Break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqGx6LIkFqo
I decided to try and make a similar one (I never played his one, just seen that video).
I'm still not done with points, levels, gameplay and so on but here's a screen of what I have so far:

Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2016, 10:02:24 pm »
FRex, looks good. I was interested to see what the original was actually like (and to see what the mechanics are) so I googled "heartbreak android". On its app page, there's a video trailer of the more 'polished' release version. Looks like a good idea. I look forward to seeing what you do with it  :)
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »
I didn't know there is android version. I checked and he had a trailer on his channel too but I stopped subscribing before that. :-X And I'll have a non bouncing ball, like the original from the jam had. But I have no idea what controls, progression, levels, ect. were so I'll be doing it all my own way, I already have few ideas. I'll avoid playing the android one until I'm done with my version to not let it influence ideas I had on top of the original video. It's actually better that he went in a different direction from the original game than I had from that early 2013 video of it so it's not like I'm cloning him completely.

Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2016, 02:04:43 pm »
Thumb up for Wolfenstein!  ;)

Just added a debug draw overlay to my simple game framework. Needs some tweakin though to not go out of the view (see right paddle)

(and yes I'm still working on a Pong clone, it makes adding features to the framework more simple)

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2016, 08:38:43 pm »
SeriousITGuy, it looks like you're getting distracted from completing your Pong game  :P
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

AncientGrief

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2016, 11:54:38 pm »
Thumb up for Wolfenstein!  ;)

Just added a debug draw overlay to my simple game framework. Needs some tweakin though to not go out of the view (see right paddle)

(and yes I'm still working on a Pong clone, it makes adding features to the framework more simple)

May I ask how you implement this debug feature? Using preprocessor directives, so this won't affect the final build?! I like the idea!

If you do so, how does your approach look like?

Regards,
AncientGrief
I grew up with C++...but then I met C#...got lazy...time to turn back to my one and only love!
My system:
Wintendo 10 with Intel i7 4770k
Palit GeForce GTX 980
16 GB RAM

anything