Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Mac] Fullscreen modes not scaled to screen size  (Read 30902 times)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [Mac] Fullscreen modes not scaled to screen size
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
I want to prevent an upcoming of the idea that there is no problem on OS X at all

For the record, I know and accept that the current implementation is not to everyone's taste. But there're two problems: I don't have time to fix this myself nor is there a consensus on the way to fix it. Until the latter is resolved and someone offer a PR, this issue is not going to progress...

You guys are welcome to start and animate a (new) discussion on the (broad) different issues and alternative ways to fix them, partially or entirely based on what was presented in this thread.
SFML / OS X developer

BlueCobold

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 03:39:17 pm »
Well, I am not in the position to decide what needs to be done.

The possible solutions are:
1) A soft-switch (as currently) which actually incorporates the entire screen and doesn't care about aspect-ratio
2) A soft-switch (as currently) which actually incorporates the entire screen and does letter-boxing
3) A hard-switch
4) A combination of all the other three, up to the developer to chose from
Personally I prefer (1) or (3) as (2) is something the user needs to implement himself also on all other platforms if not using a native aspect-ratio and therefor it's not a business of SFML. Version (3) gives a damn on Apples guideline (or doesn't, depending on how you want to read/interpret them). Version (1) would work quite closely to the current implementation, but it would actually use the entire screen. Version (2) would give the user/programmer an unexpected result since that is not what happens on Linux or Windows iirc. The resulting solution should of course be consistent to the other OS-specific behaviours.

I could possibly implement it myself and make a PR, but that would be useless until there's a decision made by the SFML-team on which solution is the desired one. (4) is not something I might be willed to invest my time in as it would be too much time-consuming.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:43:25 pm by BlueCobold »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 04:43:32 pm »
Seen the lack of answer from other community and core members, I would review and accept a PR for (1) were you or someone else create one, for consistency sake among OSes. I would, however, still welcome the ability to let the user decide between a true hard switch and a soft, ratio-preserving fullscreen mode as I suggested previously.
SFML / OS X developer

zTn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2021, 05:23:23 pm »
As it stands, I can't find a solution to this and it appears that my beloved SFML is just broken on MacOS.  Since all other apps/games are not broken by what Apple has done here, isn't this a question of what SFML is doing differently?  I must be missing something.  Can someone explain to me why SFML cannot just do what everyone else is doing?  Anyone?

ppnl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 03:04:22 pm »

As someone new to SFML and graphics generally my suggestion is that you make it clear what SFML is doing. I expect VideoMode to change the video mode. I expect Fullscreen to be, you know, full screen. I am ok with SFML supplying or not supplying whatever functionality you wish. I do resent the time I have wasted trying to understand why Fullscreen isn't full screen. The names of the functions and the documentation should show clearly what is happening.

Beyond that I would suggest that SFML ultimately allow people to do whatever they want even if it is ugly, OS dependent or unwise. Maybe by using #include <SFML/unwise.hpp>. That should be warning enough.

anything