Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Moonman (my sfml game has been funded on kickstarter!)  (Read 28925 times)

eigenbom

• View Profile
Moonman (my sfml game has been funded on kickstarter!)
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:06:01 am »
Hey guys, well I've been working away on an sfml-based game for the last 3 years. It's called Moonman and I've just launched a Kickstarter to help fund the final year of development. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the game or the code. I'd also appreciate if you could share the kickstarter with your friends.

Thanks to the SFML team for making a great library, without which I wouldn't have been able to make this game. :)

Moonman Kickstarter!

Moonman is a 2D procedurally-generated adventure game (think Terraria, Spelunky, Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, Knytt Stories) set on a nocturnal planet orbited by many moons. The game is about a character called Moonman who explores the vibrant regions and biomes of his nocturnal world looking for fragments of moons -- in order to build a sun. The fragments may be hidden in caves or tombs, be inside large creatures, or hoarded by hermits. The gameplay involves a mix of platforming, resource collecting, crafting, trading, combat and puzzle solving. Each new game will procedurally generate a unique planet to explore and you'll be adventuring through populated towns, dark dungeons, exotic forests, quiet caves, submerged tombs, and crumbling castles.

Follow me at @eigenbom for regular updates. Sign up to the mailing list at http://moonman.io/ to get notified of the release. (Also facebook.)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:41:40 pm by eigenbom »

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: Moonman (my sfml game is on kickstarter!)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:55:37 am »
First of all: Great job 8)
To be honest, I don't like sidescroll games xD But I it looks great anyway ;) I'm not familar with those kickstarter stuff but I hope you'll be able to finish the game! From my point of view, you've invested a huge among of time, creativity and skill to reache the current state of development. :)
The most remarkable aspect of your game is (at least for me) the procedurally-generated-aspect. I really like everything that's procedurally-generated - it makes the game even more "replayable"... ;D

Unfortunately I cannot watch the videos at the moment. But maybe later ;)

Because you offered to answer questions about game and code .. can you tell us a bit about it? Especially:
  • Which language(s) are you using?
  • Which platforms will be targeted?
  • Any plans about payment? (free to play? or is there a specific price you think of?)
  • Can you sketch the previous development steps (e.g. milestones)?
  • Have you always been working alone? Did you create the art?

Kind regards, and again: great job. Congratulations!
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22:14 am »
Good job, this looks fantastic!

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:02:38 am »
I'm really impressed!
SFML / OS X developer

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:59:06 am »
Well what can I say? Backed! :D

It's really nice seeing this project developed that far. Back when you first showed off Moonman, I didn't think it would get so far. I always wondered if development was still going, but didn't know you worked on it full time!

So here's to hope that this reaches its goal. :)

Edit: Totally forgot to ask: What role does SFML play in your game/engine?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:18:15 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »
Hey guys, thanks! Yes who knew the little SFML prototype I made 3 years ago would develop into this :D

The game is about 70k lines of C++ and uses SFML, Box2D, and Boost. I have some Python scripts for the tools, and have also built a sprite editor using Qt. It will be released on Windows first, through Steam and directly. But then I hope to release on OSX and Linux -- I have an OSX build from a year ago so I know it's not too tricky to get it all working properly.

I use SFML for all the windowing, graphics, sound, etc. All the sprite drawing is mostly just sf::Sprite, with the occasional texture mapped quad or shape. All of it is composited together with a few shaders, and there is minimal custom opengl in there. If you have any specific q's I can answer them.

The game will be about $10-15 when released. It's better for me if you can pre-order it by backing the Kickstarter though. :)

Yep I mainly work alone, but have contracted out the music. I've done 99% of the art in the game, and I suppose that's a big factor in why the game has taken 3 years, as I've been learning the style as I go.

Development steps? This is quite an involved question, but I hope to write an article soon which covers the last 3 years of development. So stay tuned!

Oh and lastly, if you can bother to wade through my Devlog, I have lots of information in there about the engine and how I built certain parts.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:43:57 pm »
Nice work.
Just backed your kickstarter with 3 AUD - can't really afford more at the moment, but I hope it helps. Game looks really nice and it's cool that you are using SFML :-)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:57:07 pm by Jesper Juhl »

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 12:02:53 am »
Thanks Jesper, yeah every little bit helps for sure, and I really appreciate your support! I've only backed about 10 projects myself, I've been living off a tiny amount of money for the last 3 years, and most of the KS will go towards contracting external help -- but this is the life we choose to follow our dreams :D

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:16 am »
Arrgh, can't resist. Just updated my pledge to 10AUD - I have to get a copy to play with - I'll just have to live without the extra money ;-)
I just hope there will be a Linux version or I won't be able to play it...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:23:19 am by Jesper Juhl »

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:41 am »
Oh, thanks! It's appreciated. :)

The linux version will come shortly after the windows version. Maybe I can get a Linux and Mac alpha out earlier..

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 12:40:52 am »
This looks really well done; nice work!
It has its own visual style too, which is always good  ;)

Good luck with this project  :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Jabberwocky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 12:04:13 pm »
Looks great, eigenbom!  Pledged.

I'll be very interested to read about and watch your development, as I've chosen a nearly identical set of tech for my own work. 

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
It looks really good!
And I like the pixel art of the game.

Good luck with the Kickstarter campaign!

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
In addition to Steam, have you considered getting MoonMan listed on some of the various smaller indie game sites?
I'm thinking of sites such as itch.io, Desura and IndieGameStand. I know that at least I often go to those sites to find new interesting indie titles - might broaden MM's reach a bit  :)

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 10:14:17 pm »
Thanks for all your support :D

Jesper -- It really depends on the overhead of doing that. If I sign up to a publisher, then they distribute everything for me, but without one I would then have to maintain builds and push updates across all the platforms. But I'll definitely consider each one of those, thanks for the info :)

anything