Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Looking for devs, graphist]Shmup game project  (Read 5615 times)

yhu420

• View Profile
    • Email
[Looking for devs, graphist]Shmup game project
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:21:45 am »
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I had in mind to create a game using SFML. I'm now done with the fundations of the game(main menu, options menu, shop...), and I just realized I really need help!
I did not even reall start making the game itself, so the help from any of you would really contribute to a major part of this project. All I need is someone to give me a hand, indeed, I am not even willing to give 1 cent for the development of this game. The reason why I want to create a game is for fun (how cute  ::) ) and as its my first game, I also think it could take up some space on my resume. I'm thinking about it because I'm still young (17 yo), which means I also have to learn coding, and working in a team.
There's no need to be a C++ master to dare sending me a PM, I'm still learning too!
I forgot to mention, the help of a graphist is also vital to the project.
Anyway, if you anyone is interested, do not hesitate to send me a PM, or leave a comment, that'd make me very happy :3
Sorry for bad english, and thank you already  :D

PS: Please also tell me if this forum is inappropriate for this kind of announcement!

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Re: [Looking for devs, graphist]Shmup game project
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:17 am »
well someone like me will only help if I could see a Game Design Doc of some kind.  Doesn't have to be long just enough to give me an idea what on earth you are up to and where you are going.

Simply asking for help coding a game doesn't normally end well on this forum without showing us you aren't just trying to get us to make it for you. :)

Also setup a github or some other source/asset control of some kind where we can help out. This way we can look through and find what needs work and what doesn't and where to go from there.
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

yhu420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:55 am »
I already have a git but it is set to private, so showing the code wont be easy unless I add you and stuff and bla bla bla.. Don't worry about the code, I've wrote the begginning of the game in a way which lets you do pretty much whatever you want, as the menu and the game will be two completely separate things.
Anyway, I started writing some Basic game design rules earlier today, I can show you how it looks, but for now it is more like: "Need to know what kind of game I want to make befoore writing more things here".. You can find this file somewhere in the download link I'll provide.

Anyway, if you want to know how the game is going right now, I will upload something for you:
Warning: dont be surprised of the pictures used: I picked random files on my hard drive as images, all images are intended to be replaced soon or later. I know the graphics dont make any sense for now.
To run it, you need to place the sfml 2.2 release dlls next to the executabe, which I assume you already have on your system. (Or are the dlls specific to the compilers?)

Right here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h0fktq4zjfecac1/AAAlnZjZ1iW990efoqaL2Tpra?dl=1

Maybe I wasnt clear enough in my first post, I apologize for that. I am not looking for someone to help me on a particular feature, or for a few days only. I'm looking for someone on who I can count on until the end of the project, to develop with me the whole main game. I have no time limitation or anything, I dont want anyone to do things in a certain delay, it's just from time to time help on something,or even marking todo tasks, suggesting new ideas for game design, etc..

Thanks again  ;)
Sorry for the messy post  :-[
EDIT: link autodownloads a zip, and how to run
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:33:02 am by yhu420 »

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:33:02 am »
lol wasn't trying to be mean or anything, it is just we've seen people do just that.  They'll make it sound like they wanted help when they just wanted someone to make it for them.  Needless to say it has happened often enough for us to be hard on people. 

It sucks for legit people hunting for extra dev help because of that.  I know people will help though so all you need to do is grab their attention. :) :D

yhu420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:35 am »
I dont have much to grab people's attention for now, all I have is a menu screen with a shaking spaceship..
I'm not even sure if the link I provided will even run on other people's system, I think I can wait til 2030 to find someone but hey, I want enthusiastic people, and I know it will take a while to find ;)
Thanks for telling me that though ^^

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:57:18 am »
If you're looking for ideas or useful things to speed things along here's a few.

LTBL2 I saw you've already found but there's SFGUI, Thor, SFNUL, and AILib: http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=16389.0 all can be rather helpful.  Now there are other things floating around but most of these should help cut down on time to make a few things you might not have made yet. :)

Mörkö

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:45 am »
You should show your code, make it as open and visible as possible. Having your repos private and hidden will diminish your chances of finding collaborators.

Have you finished a lot of small games before? If you haven't already made games like pong, snake, breakout, pacman, etc, then it's very unlikely you would be able to create something more epic than those games either!

In order to spawn interest in your project and entice people to join you, having some kind of explanation of what they would be getting into is critical, because right now there isn't really any info at all, and I find it hard to believe anyone wants to join a project without knowing what it is.

But that's just my opinion, take it as seriously as you wish.

yhu420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »
This is my first "real" game, before that, I used SFML for small aplications, but that's all. Also, I dont have in mind  to create a super epic game, just a basic shmup game or something else. You want me to be more precise? ok:

I have not started coding even one line of code for the actual game, and I have no idea what I really want to do: a basic shmup, some kind of shmup with different paths to choose, or even something else.

If someone wishes to help me, it's not for coding only but rather making the whole game with me, which involves doing design and everything! Therefore, I'm not looking for someone to "do the coding", but rather do the game.
I'm not willing to make a fantastic game, just a very basic one to learn: As the character so far is a spaceship in space, the AI movement is certainly going to be very basic, moving on one line or another function. Technically, I don't really have in mind to make an hyper complex game either, just a few sf::sprites messing around on the screen.

Obviously, the only kind of people who would be willing to join this kind of project are beginners like me, willing to learn.
Thanks again for reading and trying to help me  :D

Dark2Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:20 pm »
Why don´t you build a smaller project, if you have problems with some coding?

The best thing is, to become bigger and bigger with your projects and not build a big game with the help of others, if you want to learn more about SFML and C++.

I think it´s not the best reason to have a develop-team, when my knowledge isn´t good enough for my team.

yhu420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 03:13:21 pm »
I think you misunderstood was I said before: I do not have problems with code! There's simply too much to do for me.
Also, I disagree with you on one point: I've never worked in a development team before, and this is the first time I create a git. I don't want to have a very big team, I think 2 or 3 persons would be the perfect number of people for such a project.
Therefore, working in a team is in my opinion an occasion to learn to and from others, which is always good  :P

As I said before, people who are the most likely to want to join this kind of project are learning people, and I'm sure making a game will learn us a lot  :D

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »
lol I know the feeling of big projects since I got 3 that were suppose to be simple I'm working on right now.  ;D

Also a public git repo will get far more random help that you can look over.  It might not be constant help but some stray person might end up solving a problem no one has figured out. :)

Mörkö is right though, the easier it is to see what you are up to the easier it is to get help.  SFML does that the best.

yhu420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:42:18 pm »
Thanks for your answer StormWingDelta, I might switch the git to public soon or later..
Though it doesn't seem this is the right place to find learning developers..

Do you guys know any other forum where I might possibly find more people?
Thanks again all of you  :P

anything