Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads [hiatus]  (Read 440121 times)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
Re:creation - a top down action rpg about undeads
« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:00 pm »
You'll be happy to find this then! (Translations are on the Master sheet)
This looks pretty interesting, thanks. This would only help translate small part of the game. What about dialogues? They have to be translated by people. :)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »
When you release your game, in which languages will it be available?
It's originally written in English, I'll also make the Russian translation.(Because I'm from Russia, he-he).
As for other translations: I would love to have German, Spanish, French, Japanese and maybe other translations. If I find some people who would do these translations, this would definitely happen. (If I have enough money to pay them, or if some people volunteer).
Depending on the amount of text (and your deadline) I'd probably be willing to do a Danish translation for a free copy of the game :)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: September 10, 2015, 09:34:22 pm »
Depending on the amount of text (and your deadline) I'd probably be willing to do a Danish translation for a free copy of the game :)
Deal. ;)
I don't really know how much text there would be, but I'll contact you when all the text is written. :)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 10, 2015, 09:34:44 pm »
I would gladly translate it to german if needed. Could do japanese as well, but i'll stick with my native language  ;)

AlejandroCoria

• View Profile
    • alejandrocoria.games
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: September 10, 2015, 09:37:04 pm »
It's originally written in English, I'll also make the Russian translation.(Because I'm from Russia, he-he).
As for other translations: I would love to have German, Spanish, French, Japanese and maybe other translations. If I find some people who would do these translations, this would definitely happen. (If I have enough money to pay them, or if some people volunteer).

I would have no problems in translate to Spanish in my free time ;)
(I'm from Argentina)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2015, 09:50:10 pm »
@SpeCter, @AlejandroCoria, thanks a lot! I'll start a list of potential translators and I'll message you once the game is mostly done. (This would take some time, though...)

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2015, 10:44:19 pm »
Depending on how much text there is I could maybe do a Polish version, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time because university year starts in few weeks. Also - how will it be done technically? Will there be a database of all strings in the game for each language or what? And which Lua version are you using? Also - another solution to nested tables problem littering the code with a lot of calls and checks in C++ is to just use a piece of Lua code like so:
luaL_loadstring(L, "local args = {...} package.loaded['bla.native.draw'] = args[1]");
lua_newtable(L);
//pushing methods
if(lua_pcall(L, 1, 0, 0))
{
//error handling ect.
}
It could be used to return a value from nested tables easily too, few calls, no own type checking of tables  or indexing, ect.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:52:59 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: September 10, 2015, 11:05:41 pm »
Depending on how much text there is I could maybe do a Polish version, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time because university year starts in few weeks.
The translation won't be needed until the game is near release, and this may take a year or two. :)

Also - how will it be done technically? Will there be a database of all strings in the game for each language or what?
I think it would be a bunch of .csv files which you could edit in any editor you want (even in Excel :D)

And which Lua version are you using?
Lua 5.2.

Also - another solution to nested tables problem littering the code with a lot of calls and checks in C++ is to just use a piece of Lua code like so
Hmm, what problem are your referring to? And I can't quite understand what this code does...

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: September 10, 2015, 11:22:47 pm »
The problem of not being able to get a nested table just by calling
lua_getglobal(L, "someTable.interestingTable");
as you've written in https://eliasdaler.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/using-lua-with-cpp-in-practice-part-2/
I thought about iterating through name and checking for dots but I decided to not bother (and it'd break on names with dots in them like the module names) and instead push a piece of Lua code to stack and then call it so all type checking, ect. is done by Lua. That piece of code I've shown was to create a new library table and put it under name bla.native.draw into the package.loaded table so require can retrieve it, but you could get any nested table value out the same way:
luaL_loadstring(L, "return some.nested.table.value");
lua_pcall(L, 0, 1, 0)
{
//handle the errors, pop the error message, ect.
}
//some.nested.table.value is now on top of the stack

Lua 5.2.
Is there any special reason or feature that made you pick this over 5.1? I've used 5.2 for learning Lua because that's what was newest when I started but then went back to 5.1 so I could use LuaJIT if I wanted to and 5.3 issues made me think I made the right choice.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:27:35 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2015, 05:05:01 am »
I've gotten table keys and values like this. It's how I've made an std::map<K, V> out of a Lua table (albeit, a Lua table with keys of the same type, and values of the same type).

I also ended up making syntax to get values from a table like:
bool someBool = luaState["someTable"]["anotherTable"]["yetAnotherTable"]["myBoolFinally"];

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:41 am »
I would love to have German, Spanish, French, Japanese and maybe other translations.
I could help with the German translation, because I'm German ^^ You could message me once you're ready for translation. Then we'll check whether I have enough time.
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2015, 11:52:11 am »
I would love to have German, Spanish, French, Japanese and maybe other translations.
I could help with the German translation, because I'm German ^^ You could message me once you're ready for translation. Then we'll check whether I have enough time.

We should work together then, so that when the time comes we won't do things twice ;)

nebula

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »
I volunteer as a tribute for german translation :'D put me on the list

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2015, 01:29:08 pm »
* Tank volunteers for a German translation.

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2015, 11:44:45 pm »
<- This guy here volunteers for a French translation.
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord

anything