Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads [hiatus]  (Read 440244 times)

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads
« Reply #570 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:01 pm »
I've managed to manage views pretty nicely by putting them into Context struct which can be used from GameStates. So the problem is no longer relevant, unless someone has a better approach
Seems like you've managed to simplify passing the views to the rendering system so sounds like a good design. Nice work.

Tried zooming out with the opposite pixel - felt really weird, so I'm going to go with original version. :D
I expected as much. It's just that I've experienced some interfaces where they would zoom in the alternate way and you can get used to it for that software so you may have had a preference to that style.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #571 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:59 pm »
Seems like you've managed to simplify passing the views to the rendering system so sounds like a good design. Nice work.
Thanks. :D
Yeah, it's pretty simple now. Here's how the code looks in PlayingState::draw now:
if (!game.isEditingLevel()) {
    gameCamera.activate(window);
} else {
    levelEditorCamera.activate(window);
}
renderingSystem.draw(window);
As simple as it can get! (Camera::activate just sets Camera's sf::View for the given window).
And I don't need to change the view afterwards. (It's only changed in GUIPlayingState for GUI rendering, but guiCamera can be easily accessed from there).

I expected as much. It's just that I've experienced some interfaces where they would zoom in the alternate way and you can get used to it for that software so you may have had a preference to that style.
I mostly have experience with Paint.NET and Photoshop and it seems like they zoom out based on mouse position. (It feels like most image viewers do this too).
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #572 on: May 12, 2016, 11:59:28 pm »
I mostly have experience with Paint.NET and Photoshop and it seems like they zoom out based on mouse position. (It feels like most image viewers do this too).
I agree and I can't think why they wouldn't. Worse still is that I can't remember where I've experienced the other style!

Anyway, nice work on the game. It's good to see it's still on the go  :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: May 13, 2016, 12:11:05 am »
I agree and I can't think why they wouldn't. Worse still is that I can't remember where I've experienced the other style!
Ha-ha :D

Anyway, nice work on the game. It's good to see it's still on the go  :)
Thanks! Hopefully I'll make and show some nice new stuff soon, but considering how drastically my free time appears and disappears it's hard to say for sure.
One thing I can say for sure is that this project would be still going strong no matter what. I've never lost any motivation and it taking so much time doesn't frustrate me at all. (I just hope that other people understand and accept my slow dev speed. :D)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: May 13, 2016, 02:02:59 am »
Wow!!! Really Really Thanks for your awnser...you just save my programming life right now...I'm a brazillian who live in a small city in the Amazonia...the city have in base of 20.000 people only...and I are the only one in the city who have interest in game dev and game programming...I read a lot of your articles here and in your wordpress site...and doing this I even have gain a real interest in the Lua programming language...I'm really really want to play re:creation...sorry for this but I have another question..
What program you use to do pixel art and how you learn pixel art....
sorry for my bad english I learn both english and C++ at my own..

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #575 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:38 am »
You're welcome. Glad to help you that much!
I use Paint.NET and PyxelEdit. I learned pixel art by learning from amazing tutorials like this or this. There are tons of others, so be sure to check them out by googling "pixel art tutorial". It's also good to learn how to draw in general because your pixel art will become much better too. I can recommend Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson.

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:36 pm »
Hey bro...Its me again...this time I have a question...Its a bit weird but..what is a thread? in programming and in this amazing forum?

Tex Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 13, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »
Hey bro...Its me again...this time I have a question...Its a bit weird but..what is a thread? in programming and in this amazing forum?

In programing, a thread is where your instructions are executed. Your program can have a single thread (this is the default behaviour), so every instruction has to wait for the previous instructions to complete before it is executed, or you could implement multi-threading. With multi-threading, you create more threads on your program, and assign instructions for them to execute, so the instructions from different threads can execute in parallel (if you have enough processing cores for that, at least).

For exemple, if you have a very extensive calculation to do, you might break it down on four parallel algorithms on four different threads, and they would all run in parallel, taking 1/4 the time it would take to run them in only one thread (if your processor is quad-core or higher).

Here on the forum, a "thread" is where we post. For example, we are posting on the "Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads" thread.

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #578 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:22 pm »
wow thanks...by the way...This means that ever thread I use will consume a core processor of my computer?? for example if I use 8 threads I need to have an Octa-Core processor??and what happens if I not had this all theses processors and I want to use 8 threads?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: May 13, 2016, 08:20:31 pm »
No. The OS usually handles hundreds of threads (how do you think it can handle all those programs that run in parallel ;)), even on CPUs with one core. It constantly switches between them, giving them a chunk of execution time.

This is getting off-topic for this thread (;D), and even for this forum. There are much better resources online to learn what threads are and how to use them, I strongly advise you to learn with them rather than with forum posts on the SFML forum. I don't even know why you asked this question, nobody talked about threads in previous replies...
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads
« Reply #580 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:48 pm »
You maybe interested in take a look at the Learn Programming Sub-Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/
You can find a lot of answers and resources in the sidebar on that site. They also have an IRC chat that might be interesting for asking many different questions.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #581 on: May 13, 2016, 10:22:30 pm »
Sorry :-(...  I just had see Elias talking about threads and I don't know what are this...I'm a very beginner in programming...I'm so sorry for this

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #582 on: May 14, 2016, 08:34:18 am »
Sorry :-(...  I just had see Elias talking about threads and I don't know what are this...I'm a very beginner in programming...I'm so sorry for this
No problem. I was probably talking about this thread as the best source of info about my engine.

And thanks, Tex Killer, Laurent and eXpl0it3r for contributing to this thread and pointing Carlos to a better place to discuss/learn about this stuff. :)

As for now, I want to rewrite my animation editor as a part of in-game editor to make process even more easier! So this means that I'll have to go back to my serialization system and make interface with ImGui. Hopefully it won't take too long and I'll post results soon. :)
I'm also making some good changes to level format, adding more features for tile overlays and just polishing and making stuff better in general.

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #583 on: May 14, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »
Elias...I'd already see some Gif's animation and I are being much curious how the game will be...in general...It's so good to see the evolution of the process...Today I've tried to setup SFML 2.3.2 in my Code::Blocks IDE..and I did everything on the tutorial of the SFML site...and I fail..this is a frustration because I don't want to download the Visual Studio..If someone were can help me..or give a link of the forum to how to fix this...again sorry for put this here...I'm not very familliar with the forum..

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #584 on: May 14, 2016, 03:41:43 pm »
You can create a new thread here (be sure to read Code::Blocks + SFML tutorial carefully and try googling your problems, maybe they were solved somewhere before).