Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is there any way to get code::blocks to work with gcc 4.9.2 minGW SFML package?  (Read 6810 times)

Critkeeper

• View Profile
I tried downloading the TDM-GCC 4.9 series minGW compiler and creating a new compiler option in the build settings for the project pointing to it, and I made sure to use the correct SFML package that was compiled using that compiler.

But I still get unwind errors indicating that there is a problem with how the stack is being used, and that is typically caused by the library being compiled with a different compiler or version than the source you are linking it with.

Does that mean TDM's implementation of minGW isn't compatible?
if(CritKeeper.askQuestion()){return question.why();}

shadowmouse

• View Profile
Try this version of mingw http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
If I remember correctly that is the installer so you have to choose 4.9.2, the rest of the settings should be set up correctly. Then download the version of codeblocks without a compiler and build sfml with cmake.

Critkeeper

• View Profile
I tried what you provided and it links and compiles code that I know works without throwing any errors or anything.

I didn't download and build sfml, I just used to MinGW 4.9.2 package. And I didn't download the version of codeblocks that doesn't have any compilers, I just made a new compiler option. I don't see how any of that should matter if it syncs up anyway, but if it doesn't then please let me know.

I had to remember to set the toolchain up but I'm not certain I did it properly.

C compiler is set to
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.9.2.exe

C++ compiler is
i686-w64-mingw32-g++.exe

Linker is
i686-w64-mingw32-g++.exe

Linker for static is
ar.exe

Debugger is
GDB/CDB debugger : Default

Resource compiler is
windres.exe

Make program is
mingw-32-make.exe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:02:25 am by Critkeeper »

Critkeeper

• View Profile
I am getting a strange error when I try to run a hello world program with this set up.

It says

The procedure entry point _ZSt24__throw_out_of_range_fmtPKcz could not be located in the dynamic link library libstdc++6.dll

Critkeeper

• View Profile
But I thought by linking static I could avoid using DLLS

These are my link libraries:

sfml-graphics-s-d
freetype
jpeg
sfml-windows-s-d
opengl32
gdi32
sfml-audio-s-d
FLAC
ogg
vorbis
vorbisenc
vorbisfile
openal32
sfml-network-s-d
ws2_32
sfml-system-s-d
winmm

I still include open OpenAL32.dll in the same folder as the executable but I keep getting that strange error.

Also, it doesn't matter if I change the programs used in the toolchain to:

C compiler is set to
gcc.exe

C++ compiler is
g++.exe

Linker is
g++.exe

Linker for static is
ar.exe

Debugger is
GDB/CDB debugger : Default

Resource compiler is
windres.exe

Make program is
mingw-32-make.exe

Since the thing compiles and links without errors, it can't be a compiler or a linker error. I must be linking to the wrong DLL like you said, but I can't figure out how or why.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:22:38 am by Critkeeper »

shadowmouse

• View Profile
Have you defined SFML_STATIC? I don't know if that's the problem but  it's still trying to access a dll and if you correctly made it static it shouldn't access any dlls other than openal32. By the way, if it compiles correctly, when are you getting that error?

Critkeeper

• View Profile
I have SFML_STATIC defined in the compiler settings under global compiler settings along with the linker settings and search directories. And I am making sure that my selected compiler for the project is the same compiler I am defining these settings for.

I get the error once I try to run the program. It doesn't happen until I hit "run" and the console pops up, but happens before anything can be put to the console.

shadowmouse

• View Profile
Does it happen with a simple return 0 program such as:
Code: [Select]
int main()
{
    return 0;
}

Critkeeper

• View Profile

shadowmouse

• View Profile
In that case I'm pretty sure it's a problem with your putting together of codeblocks and mingw but I'm going further and further into the realms of educated guesses here. As a final check, if you make a new project, try that code, then if it works, link sfml and try that code, then if that works, try the tutorial circleshape program.

Critkeeper

• View Profile
Both of those things work -_-

I am absolutely confused.

EDIT:

Wait nvm I chose the wrong compiler at project creation. After choosing the compiler option I made for MinGW 4.9.2, it crashes on a normal hello world program and on the return 0 program.

SECOND EDIT:

well...

You ever make the same mistake, but the opposite, twice in a row and look like a dumbass for it? Cause yeah. It works.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:57:32 am by Critkeeper »

shadowmouse

• View Profile
If you've got an SFML project up and running now then the other one probably has some obscure mistake in it, but if you've got it working now, just use that one.

Critkeeper

• View Profile
Problem resolved guys!

When creating a new compiler option and defining its settings you can't be certain that simply changing the compiler of your project in code blocks will not cause a run time error.

To be safe, define the new compiler and set it up properly and then create a new project with that compiler selected at construction. Then it should work without a hitch. Unfortunately that can mean a lot of copy and pasting, or atleast moving files around. Oh well.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
My guess is that you didn't fully rebuild the project as the warning that pops up when changing the compiler is telling you to.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/