Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Joystick Disconnect causes Crash at pollEvent()  (Read 15579 times)

Acumen

• View Profile
Re: Joystick Disconnect causes Crash at pollEvent()
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 07:15:11 am »
That's my tweet :)

Might have been a bit jumping the gun there claiming it's a Windows bug. I was excited I finally tracked down the cause of my intermittent crashes over the last year and a half, and well the stack leaded to Windows functions. Driver issue seems more likely now that I have calmed down ha.

Yeah I've seen all the discussions about it being deprecated. From what I have read there is very sound reason to stick with it though, lower level tried and true vs whims of Microsoft.

Interesting that they tracked it to watch software, driver conflicts I guess?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:17:23 am by Acumen »

Acumen

• View Profile
Re: Joystick Disconnect causes Crash at pollEvent()
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:57:40 pm »
So, good news...?

I finally got one of my other Windows 8.1 machines running. The problem is not reproducible on it, so it must be some hardware/driver issue. Ha from now on I have to keep this machine up as vital equipment. Makes me not want to add multi-platform support :). Need 2 of every kind like Noah or something.

Anyway downloading every driver update I can find. Not sure what else to try from here, maybe it works? I still find it odd my reducing the joystick count solves it so easily. Seems like it could pop up for other people. Think I will probably leave that fix in my build of SFML just because I don't really need it and would rather have to explain to people with 5 joysticks connected that they need to move them around to get the one they want to use to work than have any potential crashes.