Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Problems with 1.2  (Read 7183 times)

jindocai

• View Profile
Problems with 1.2
« on: January 26, 2008, 07:06:05 am »
My config.
Compiler: VS2005 w/ SP1

Hi I was unable to get any input from my joypad working with 1.1 so I tried upgrading to 1.2 and I have been unable to run either my program or the sample programs when built with the dynamic libraries.  I started with the Developer zip then tried the full SDK. I verified that I'm linking the proper libs, and using the right DLLs shipped with the SDK.

Problems:
The programs refuse to start, they're frozen somewhere in the ntdll before the hit main. I've found this is usually when libraries are built with the wrong settings but that is only a guess.  The sample programs work when they are built with the static libraries. The programs do act a bit strange as it takes a few seconds for the process to die when killed.

Other problems:
The VS2005 projects are not properly configured to build the projects.  If they aren't going to be maintained they probably should not be distributed. Also the include path shouldn't be "$(SolutionDir)../include" but "$(SolutionDir)/../include" so the sln can be saved w/ the vcproj.

OpenAL.dll is not distributed in the SDK so you can't run the Pong sample program.

Any ideas about what is going on would be welcome as well as the status of fixing these problems in future releases. I've liked the library so far except for these bumps however I have so little time for my own development I can't spend it debugging 3rd party libs (I'm spending it debugging my own bugs ha).

Thanks.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:15:22 pm »
The programs refuse to start, they're frozen somewhere in the ntdll before the hit main

That's weird, as far as I know DLLs were working fine. I'll check one more time.

The VS2005 projects are not properly configured to build the projects. If they aren't going to be maintained they probably should not be distributed

Are you kidding ? The VS2005 projects are the ones I'm using everyday to develop SFML, they couldn't be more maintained. Can you explain what you mean ?

Also the include path shouldn't be "$(SolutionDir)../include" but "$(SolutionDir)/../include" so the sln can be saved w/ the vcproj

I'm not sure I get what you mean. It's "$(SolutionDir)../include" because SolutionDir already ends with a slash.

OpenAL.dll is not distributed in the SDK so you can't run the Pong sample program

Nobody can distribute OpenAL32.dll alone. You have to install oalinst.exe, which is in the SDK.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:29:03 pm »
I checked the DLLs again with VS2005, everything works fine. The only difference is that I'm using Windows XP, but so far nobody reported me any problem on Vista.

jindocai

• View Profile
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:57:40 pm »
The problem has to do with the joystick initialization code. It appears that when calling joyGetPosEx during static initialization of a DLL it enters an infinite loop.

Julien_v42

• View Profile
    • http://tinyrpgsim.wordpress.com
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:53:28 am »
I'm not sure whether I've hit the same bug...

On some PCs (Windows XP) it seems, my program get stuck during init. There is an application shown in taskbar, but no window.

From a fellow developer that reported the issue (I cannot reproduce it here on both my PC and laptop):

It is looping on registry request on joystick (he hasn't got one attached to his PC at the moment).
The key : HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\Joystick\DINPUT.DLL\CurrentJoystickSettings
From what Process Monitor tells him.

I can provide exe and source code privately if needed, but my initialization looks like this (pseudo-code):

Code: [Select]
RenderWindow *app = new RenderWindow();
InitLotsOfStuff();
FindSuitableVideoMode();
app->Create(suitableParameters);

In InitLotsofStuff(), there is a call to app->GetInput() (in a constructor to be precise). Maybe that's causing the problem, requesting inputs before the actual window is setup, but it's working on several PCs including mine.
Working on TinyRPGSim

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:42:01 am »
The joystick initialization code (the infinite loop) has been fixed some time ago.

Julien_v42

• View Profile
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:44:03 pm »
Do you mean it's fixed in 1.2, or it's fixed in SVN?

Build I recently supplied was built with 1.2 stock, but now I'm using the SVN version, so I could do a new build...

[Edit]
OK, found out in Roadmap. So I've made a new build using SVN version.
Working on TinyRPGSim

Julien_v42

• View Profile
Still present
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »
Well, after making a new build with latest SVN code, we still experience the same kind of issue, endless looping in initialization code. It seems the issue has changed, but is still present.

Trying to track it down with Process Monitor (I can provide the log if you wish, it's too big to paste here), it's looping on a block of queries to Registry related to joystick and DirectInput mainly.
Working on TinyRPGSim

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 03:19:58 pm »
Hmm... I can't test it directly, so if you can do some debugging it would be very useful to me :)

Julien_v42

• View Profile
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 03:40:05 pm »
It's not even on my PC :(

Here is the log produced by Process Monitor http://j.villers.free.fr/projets/SiB/RV.7z.

From what I know, the PC has seen some years of use, including use of joypads and custom pad drivers (for XB360 pads). Plugging in and out a pad lead to some changes, but no improvement.

If you have no idea of something that might be causing this, I'll try to go debugging on this PC. Also, another person has the same kind of issues with builds I provided, but I have no confirmation yet it comes from the same source.
Working on TinyRPGSim

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Problems with 1.2
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:46:42 pm »
Ok I see. Thanks for your help :)