Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sfml for VS2015  (Read 2037 times)

DhimanOmega

• View Profile
sfml for VS2015
« on: October 24, 2015, 06:12:21 pm »
The download page shows

Visual C++ 14 (2015) - 64-bit-32bit

So now can i link sfml 2.3.2 with Visual Studio 2015 - comunity
it should work perfectly right?

Gambit

• View Profile
Re: sfml for VS2015
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 06:18:58 pm »
Yes although honestly I feel that if you have to ask such a question maybe you should start with something simpler than SFML.

DhimanOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »
actually I started learning sfml on vs 2013 and it now feels scary to change the ide as it got me one month to set up sfml .

Sorry , I knew that was a stupid question.

But i will upgrade to 2015
Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:25:00 pm by DhimanOmega »

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »
Visual studio 2015 has it's ups and downs. If you aren't using any of the language features in C++11/14/17 then I personally wouldn't bother upgrading. The new MSVC breaks the old CRT so older C libraries will not work.

EternalOptimist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »
I have problems with this too. I'm not a regular C++ programmer,  (last big job I wrote used C++ Builder 6) but hoped this new combination would work well enough to re-learn on the job.

Ran through the "SFML and Visual Studio" tutorial without too much difficulty. I can compile and run the program to draw the circle in a window.

However, on progressing to the other examples supplied with the download I'm hitting one brick wall after another trying to get them working. Programs compile but crash on execution. What extra do I need to do to get the the openGL example working?

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:04 pm »
Since you provide no error messages or similar (suggested reading: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) I can only guess.

Make sure you are not mixing debug and release builds of your application and the library.
Make sure you have up-to-date versions of OpenGL drivers for your graphics card installed.

EternalOptimist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:22:35 pm »
Thanks Jesper, I had read teh "Read Before" thread first, but there no error messages beyond a Windows (10) message saying the application has stopped working.

I'll see if I can find later openGL drivers than the ones installed to at least remove that possibility.

I think I have checked for release/debug version issues, but accept there might still be residual stuff messing things up.  I plan to try a new install on an old Windows 7 box which has otherwise not seen VS/SFML before, but want to be sure first that what I'm trying to do should work as well as the initial worked example. If I've done something to mess up the install I want to try and avoid making similar miostakes on the clean installation.