Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Build From Source For 2010  (Read 4451 times)

TheCommunistDuck

• View Profile
Build From Source For 2010
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:16:25 pm »
Hey all.

I found SFML after I got annoyed with SDL for numerous reasons. Mostly due to the C-ness of it, and I like my stuff to be more OO. :P
I must say, from what I've seen, it looks to be very good, and performs well on benchmarks.
Especially things such as the Sprite class, which I find cut out a lot of the generic things like moving and setting images.

I'm trying to use it with VS2010 B2, mainly because it's generally a nice API (if a little bloated). Building from the 08VS source, I've found that only 6 of the 16 projects actually compile for me. The others get linker errors:
Code: [Select]
error LNK1181: cannot open input file '...\SFML-1.5-sdk-windows-vc2008\SFML-1.5\Temp\vc2008\sfml-system\Release static\sfml-system.lib'

I think, due to my general lack of technical knowledge of how stuff actually compiles, that the *.lib files are temporary, and the *.a are the permament (static) ones?
Does anyone know how to solve this?

Much thanks. :)
-TCD.

P.S. I think that's all I need to provide, ask if any more's needed.
P.P.S I look forward to coming here often. ;)

EDIT: Changed settings to Debug/DLL, and now up to 11 successful.
However, I now get 5 linker 1104 errors:
error LNK1104: cannot open file '...\SFML-1.5-sdk-windows-vc2008\SFML-1.5\build\vc2008\..\..\Temp\vc2008\sfml-main\Debug\sfml-main.lib'   

I'm not overly sure why, still...

TheCommunistDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:22:13 pm »
I managed to solve it, but I'm afraid I don't know what I did. :/
I have the 2010 builds, but the static libraries don't work.

Cierpliwy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:47:59 pm »
I think that someone should do MSVC++ 2010 SFML project from scratch and then commit to SVN. If Laurent can't do it, maybe someone else can?

blewisjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39:46 am »
I did a successful conversion of the projects in Visual C++ Express 2010 Beta 2.  The main issue I see with putting it up in the svn is the fact it is still only a beta project and the majority of people are not using it yet.  Maybe as a branch?  If I get the go ahead I would be more then happy to put up the conversion.  Even better if allowed I can supply the C++ compiled binaries.  This way we don't have a extra unneeded branch.

I don't have the sample projects done because I really don't want to have to recompile the sample dependencies like wx and qt.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:26:29 am »
I think we can wait for the official release (in 3 months). If an Express version is available, I'll install it and convert/commit (and then maintain) all the SFML projects. I think it's a better idea not to put the beta project files, as they won't be compatible with the release version.

I don't have the sample projects done because I really don't want to have to recompile the sample dependencies like wx and qt.

You don't have to, just leave the linker errors ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

blewisjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 01:43:38 am »
Yea I beleive if I read properly the express will launch at the same time as the main vs in march.  In all honesty there are some perks to 2010 but templates still can break the intellisense.  At this point I am so use to coding with it not working that the only real ide perk I have at this point is a nice debugging interface.

coolhome

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 12:37:54 am »
I couldn't get the sfml code to build in Visual Studios 2010 Beta 2. However I figured out a way to still use the compiled library from vc2008 librarys. In your project options go to Config Properties -> General -> Platform Toolset -> Set that to V90. Quick work around. Ill have to sit down and setup the project later on.

p.s. Visual Studios 2010 is nice!
CoderZilla - Everything Programming

anything