Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Temporarily Named MMORPG: The Adventure Game  (Read 20244 times)

lordseanington

• Coffee is the blood of a coder.
    • View Profile
Re: Temporarily Named MMORPG: The Adventure Game
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 12:33:09 am »
I am serious, however i do not have even close to enough funding to hire a lawyer, i would be more likely to pass the bar myself than be able to hire one from the start. I also know that i must be a legal entity and actually have plans ready. I do have enough funding to trademark a name and plan to. Also i know there is not much there yet but the framework is mostly ready for me to load it with plenty of blocks, entities, and items. I am going to finish the missing functions and then begin adding new items, blocks, ect.
I will keep you posted on development.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 08:05:03 am »
I wouldn't care much about legal things right now, instead concentrate on development. As soon as you are going to publish your game, really visit a lawyer, there is no way around it. Save yourself the enormous time and trouble by trying to do such things yourself. You look like a developer to me, and developers write programs, they don't do law. :)

Money is often an issue for people like you, but to be honest, commercially starting with something does require funds. So you either have to visit a bank, find an investor (traditional/crowd funding) or get a half-time job and save some coins.

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 06:30:46 pm »
Sean here with another update,
Also, i have been getting paid doing yard work, and back breaking labor known as digging out palm trees.
I have
Fixed Some MAJOR Inventory Bugs Including
             Crashing If Viewing Your Inventory When There Is Nothing In it
             First Item Of Your Inventory Not Usable
             Some Pickaxes Not Working Properly
Rebuilt The Framework and Planned Out A Better and Faster Entity System
Began Work on Some Multi Threading Issues

Also, thank you all for your support, and yes, i know i don't do law, and i just wanted to be protected when i give testing copies to the other members of my small dev crew, still wish i had another programmer though,

silverweed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 09:36:39 am »
Just for curiosity: since you're using SFML, is there some reason why you're only targeting windows?

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 05:45:51 am »
Actually no reason at all, I plan to partially finish the game and then compile it for other operating systems. It doesn't use the windows api, so later it should be  on linux as well.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 11:54:46 am »
The sooner you start doing tht and get your CI system to tell you when a test fails on the other OS or you broke the build on the other OS, the easier it's going to be.
I'd personally get that going from day one and not wait until a large chunk had been implemented that then might require more work to fix.
Just my two cents :)

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »
I plan to soon, but i have some other things i need to finish first. Production has become slow due to school work, and i will NOT neglect my school work. Either way, it is still moving, but at a slower pace. I also wish i had some more, at least, test graphics for new entities, because i only have the one animation set for entities, link. My graphical designers have pretty much stopped making graphics for the same issue, school. But i obviously understand. I will continue to update you as news progresses.

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 06:20:02 am »
Another update on progress is here, school has lightened up a bit, so I have gotten more done. The entity system is partially functional, so that's great, and all together I have organized the code better and added more commenting.

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:11 pm »
Hello everyone with a new update on the progression of the game. Well we have the entity system working now accept a major bug has come up. I ran a debugger on it and apparently the entity system is the cause. It is an issue in the chunk class where i try to get the size of a vector i am using to hold information about each entity. It should be fixed soon and i plan to begin working on alpha testing and building the map. I have managed to get it so the map will span infinitely in all directions instead of just in positive x and y. This will be very helpful in building the actual map itself. Also our player model will finished soon according to my graphical designer. The next update should hopefully include bugfixes, a dialog system, and hopefully the ability to interact with certain blocks (aka forges, stairs, ect) If anyone has any ideas please email me at aracitdev@gmail.com.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:13 pm »
You're a legal entity, even as a person. Otherwise you couldn't sign any contracts. :)

But I'd really suggest you shouldn't worry about trademarks for now. Those are later on mostly useful to fight imposters or people trying to sell something that just resembles your name etc. Also - as mentioned - trademarking can be expensive, I think current fees are around 2,5k $ for one region (or similar height).

Edit: Argh, that's me answering to last post of page 1 only... :D

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 02:49:50 am »
Don't worry about it, also i am here with a new update. Major issues with the entity system have been ironed out. Also, I am upgrading the block placement system, so instead of just facing a direction you will use the mouse in conjunction with the E button or Right Click, i also might add key bindings just to make things easier for a few of my fellow developers. Also, if anyone has any suggestions feel free to email me, and i will try to get back to you. If i have slow responses, i apologize, also, i would love to respond to any questions you have and want to get your feedback.

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »
Hello everyone, Sean here, and good news. I have fixed some major issues that would prevent further development and improve future flexibility, although it still will take a while to finish some of the systems. However, I am feeling overloaded at this point, but I need to continues working. If anyone has any suggestions please tell me, whether it is programming suggestions or general game suggestions. Thank You

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 11:57:36 pm »
If you you are still attending school or if you are attending college (not sure about college) you can get 5 free github repositories here:
https://education.github.com/pack
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:59:35 pm by paupav »

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 06:01:40 pm »
Hello Everyone,
Sean here with another update.
Game development has been really slow lately due to my schoolwork however I am still moving. I have also been sick for the last week or and hopefully I will be able to get more work done. I also would like to state that my development crew is thinking of changing a large factor of the game. They have taken a look at the Irrlicht engine and they like what they see. If things go according to plan and I get another programmer we may switch to 3 dimensional as I have many of the systems built up for it. I still plan to use SFML for a few things in the game mainly because I am most accustomed with the audio and networking systems as well as the other tools that are offered by sfml. We may not change however but my dev crew has been debating it. Our artist is better at 3D modeling, I am truthfully indifferent.
Give Me Your Opinion Please

lordseanington

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 05:24:54 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I am here with a decision about the game. The game WILL remain 2D, although i have the skill to make a 3D game i do not have the time, so i guess it will stay 2D. Either way I have been ripping out some hair over certain systems and might be overworking myself due to other activities. I will get as much work done as possible. Please give me ideas, opinions, or pretty much anything else you think would help me with the game. I would like to thank you and will continue giving you updates.