Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: will SFML support 3D?  (Read 16065 times)

Mr_Blame

• View Profile
    • Email
will SFML support 3D?
« on: February 05, 2016, 12:46:13 pm »
Will SFML support 3D? Will magic happen? If yes, theb should I wait or start extending SFML for 3D rendering.

Satus

Re: will SFML support 3D?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »

GraphicsWhale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:08:33 pm »
Will SFML support 3D?

The problem with 3D is that it's so diverse that it's difficult to have a single implementation that pleases most people. That's why there are several existing libraries to choose from (and if you don't like them, you can always make your own or just use OpenGL/Direct3D directly). SFML is more general-purpose, so tying in a largely preference-based library would just turn people away. And even if it were to be implemented in SFML, the 3D support alone would be so incredibly large and complicated that it would overshadow pretty much the rest of SFML.

I wait or start extending SFML for 3D rendering.

If you want to try to add 3D support to SFML, go ahead. However, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Most of the API would not "integrate" into SFML (3D isn't as simple as adding a new window.draw overload), and would mostly have to be separate, so there's little reason for it to not be a standalone graphics engine from the start.

Mr_Blame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »
ok then. Going to grap my old dusty projects and keep writing my own texture and vbo classes  :P

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:42 am »
There are many different options to choose from when it comes to 3D rendering, if you want to use your time productively, you should probably not waste time doing what others have done already. There have even been attempts to extend SFML with 3D features, you might want to search the forum.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:19:46 pm »
ok then. Going to grap my old dusty projects and keep writing my own texture and vbo classes  :P
Or you could look into something like Crystal Space or one of the many other 3D libraries out there.

Mr_Blame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:19:29 am »
i think thar rewriting sfml is mire interesting  :D

anything