Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 5th SFML Game Jam  (Read 74195 times)

ka0s420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 5th SFML Game Jam
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:04 pm »
well, I think i'm currently plumping for 'a', it definitely has the potential to go so far as challenging the very foundations of what games actually are. Anyways, I have some more ideas now, though they appear to be getting darker as I go along, heh.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 08:50:31 pm »
a very clever, philosophical theme that will require some actual thought
I would think that it would have to have some major storyline to explain this.
Just having "failure" to complete some task is actually failing. If it progresses, it's not failure.
Failure would be something happening that you didn't try to make happen so "failing" on purpose is not failure; it's succeeding.

Technically, a game that allows you to quit and stop playing complies with this theme. :P

One example would be Rogue Legacy. You can play through it in one go, but if your character dies, it stays dead and one of its ancestors keeps going on etc.
"Perma-death" is only relevant if there is investment in building the character that would be lost, otherwise it's pretty much just "lives".

theme I suggested
You! >:(
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

select_this

• Current mood: just ate a pinecone
    • View Profile
    • darrenferrie.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 08:56:02 pm »
8)

Personally I'm trying not to overthink it and am just going for 'success gets rewarded, failure also gets rewarded but in a different way'. I'm thinking failures on a small scale rather than an overall failure - for me it's easier to meet the brief that  way.
Follow me on Twitter, why don'tcha? @select_this

TestZombie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 01:48:47 am »
How does this stuff pop without me noticing it? Been wondering about the next one for 6 months now, then it starts 4 days ago? wow I'm oblivious. O.o

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: 5th SFML Game Jam
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »
Just add a field called "Failure" to the game options -> Failure is an option ;)

Optionally you can also make it, so you can't lose if the option is disabled. :P
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »
One example would be Rogue Legacy. You can play through it in one go, but if your character dies, it stays dead and one of its ancestors keeps going on etc.
"Perma-death" is only relevant if there is investment in building the character that would be lost, otherwise it's pretty much just "lives".

Rogue legacy kinda gets easier every time you die because your ancestors are better versions of your former self, which itself makes failure a viable option to progress.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: AW: 5th SFML Game Jam
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:23 pm »
a very clever, philosophical theme that will require some actual thought
It would be cool to see at least a few people spending some thought on it and not just go with the plain "you can't fail". Possibly by delving deeper into what "failure" or "option" may mean. Changing a single mechanic to swap success/failure is easy, but adding some depth is what needs creativity ;) And I hope that those who have good ideas in that regard keep them to themselves, so that we end up have potentially different variations :)

Just add a field called "Failure" to the game options -> Failure is an option ;)
Nice one 8)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »
Rogue legacy kinda gets easier every time you die because your ancestors are better versions of your former self, which itself makes failure a viable option to progress.
Therein lies the problem; dying is no longer a failure. It sounds like dying is a viable goal. It becomes an upgrade.

I thought of this too and seriously considered actually doing it but it just didn't inspire anything else  :(
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 08:37:52 pm »
I'm going to put my post in spoiler tags because I think part of the fun of a game jam is for people to use their own interpretation of the theme and I don't want to necessarily influence others. However, if you are struggling with ideas then read on.

(click to show/hide)

Ztormi

• Web developer by day. Game developer by night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:36 am »
I really like this little discussion and brainstorming going on. I believe it's the thing these jams need with such a small active community to get more entries.
Not sure if it's really part of any game jams but why the heck not?

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 04:02:23 pm »
I'd have gone for a game where you can get penalized for certain actions.

When you're game over, the game wouldn't just have a HIGH score with a top 10 in which you can register your new highscore, but underneath it there would also be a LOW score with a bottom 10.

You could go for as many penalties as possible to try and get the lowest score on the list, earning you the title of Master Loser /flex.

--------------

Sadly i noticed the event too late and therefore didn't have enough time to compete :D.
But i still get to vote, right? RIGHT ?!

Kojay

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:25 pm »
Is it just me who's disappointed by the turnout?

This was supposed to be a long jam precisely for all those of us who understandably don't have the time for a weekend jam. I was looking forward to the submissions of several dev team members and other community regulars who had indicated they would participate.

Personally, I was almost not going to complete my entry, because the bulk of the work got pushed on the last day and was sure it would pale in comparison to a 2-week work. But in the end, I think all who submitted did the exact same thing. So I understand that others might have refrained for that reason, but also disappointed that they could not jam something together.

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 02:57:29 pm »
Is it just me who's disappointed by the turnout?
I get why you'd say this.

There could be several reasons (or a combination thereof) for this outcome. Possibly related to:
- The size of the truly active core of community (participants)
- The communication / marketing of the game jam event
- The frequency of the event (currently once a year?)
- the background and therefore perhaps the popularity of the event

I'm quite new here so i can't really discuss any of the above possibilities.I like the idea of a game jam though. A means to demonstrate your skills and/or creativity in a fun way.
But was is the SFML drive behind the Jam?

And what would you suggest to improve the results of a possible future game jam? I am just that curious :D

[UPDATE]
Reading through other threads, SFML's drive would be to share the source code of those game jam creations with the community, which makes sense obviously :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:18:19 pm by bitano »

select_this

• Current mood: just ate a pinecone
    • View Profile
    • darrenferrie.com
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »
Mine was a complete non-starter for life reasons - dealing with my personal information being stolen and used for serious fraud, getting sick with norovirus which I still haven't shaken off fully etc.

It's unfortunate, especially since I was so visibly keen to be involved right up until the first day of the jam, which was the same day I discovered my details had been stolen. I'm hoping to somewhat make up for this by turning what would have been my entry into a fully open source game with all the trimmings.
Follow me on Twitter, why don'tcha? @select_this

Jonny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »
blah...

I'm also a little disappointed there weren't more submissions, but that's very easy to say when you're one of the few, and I was very close to not having anything to submit. I also know that I definitely wouldn't have been able to submit anything at all if it wasn't for the longer timescale, so that was hugely beneficial.

It's worth bearing in mind that it's the first one organised by Eremiell too, and I'm sure a load of things have been learnt that will benefit future jams. For example the official forum post only went up less than a week before the thing started.

I also think planning for the next one should start as soon as possible after this finishes, so dates can be set and interest doesn't fade away. I think if we can carry this momentum straight into planning the next one for a few months time, then things can only get better, right?

...Right?!?!

anything