Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: version of sfml to be used  (Read 1337 times)

Anand

• View Profile
version of sfml to be used
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:23:35 am »
i want to learn game programming in c++. i am not sure if sfml 2.3 is compatible with visual c++2010 or whether i need to use the updated visual c++ version. pls help me out with the appropriate versions of sfml and vc++ which i shall use.

jamesL

• View Profile
Re: version of sfml to be used
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:56:38 am »

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:33:27 am »
It is, but as a general suggestion: Skip SFML for now.

It's nice that you'd like to give SFML a try, but in the end you're most likely making things harder for you that way. Start slow.

Learn C++ basics first, focus on writing simple command line/console programs. Once you understand the basics, such as variables, pointers, functions, classes, object lifetime, inheritance, etc. grab SFML and do something more/visual.

While this sounds more boring (which it actually might be from time to time), this allows you to understand a limited subset of functionality/topics first before throwing you even more into the way. Some parts of SFML (or pretty much any bigger library such as SDL) will require prior knowledge to be used properly. For example, SFML's resource holding classes should never be initialized in a static way at the start of your program and they should be freed before you destroy your last window.

If you don't know how scoping works or when objects are actually destroyed, obeying simple rules such as this becomes at least twice as hard for you, probably creating bugs that are really hard to track down (even for more experienced programmers).

Anand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:19:57 pm »
dear mario,
thanks for the suggestion but i know the basics of c++ language as well as the basic concepts involved in object oriented programming. after that only i m proceeding to game development