Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Capturing audio from headphones  (Read 2964 times)

lafoniz

• View Profile
Capturing audio from headphones
« on: June 09, 2016, 05:46:56 pm »
Hello, I was wondering whether there is a way to capture audio directly from my headphones rather than from my microphone? That way I can save it as samples and use it later for some purpose. Thanks for any advice on that matter.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing audio from headphones
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 04:22:41 pm »
This heavily depends on your platform. For example, under Windows you should be able to select "What you hear" or "Stereo Mix" as your standard microphone, which would result in exactly the behavior you're looking for.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:03:27 pm »
This heavily depends on your platform. For example, under Windows you should be able to select "What you hear" or "Stereo Mix" as your standard microphone, which would result in exactly the behavior you're looking for.
It also depends on the specific soundcard/audio interface. Some don't allow ability to loop-back "what-you-hear".

As an aside, technically, you can use headphones as a microphone.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Recoil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 08:07:49 pm »
As an aside, technically, you can use headphones as a microphone.

I bet I am the only one who is going to be plugging in their headphones into the mic jack and trying to talk into the ear pieces  :o

LOL

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Capturing audio from headphones
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 08:50:27 pm »
There are also tools such as Voicemeeter by VB-Audio Software (donationware), that allows you to create a virtual audio device you can then route your audio to. Then you cam select that audio cable to record from.
The software is also useful if you're streaming with people on TeamSpeak or Skype, etc.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »
I bet I am the only one who is going to be plugging in their headphones into the mic jack and trying to talk into the ear pieces  :o

LOL
Technically both speakers and microphones work the same way (just opposite direction), although speakers aren't sensitive enough to do this. ;)

But more realistic in that kind of vein, you should be able to loop back audio output using a 3.5mm inch cable between headphone port and mic port.