Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: tileset.png for tutorial Designing your own entities with vertex arrays  (Read 18566 times)

mpeg3

• gdinit@github
    • View Profile
Hello,

For other beginners following the vertex tutorial may I suggest adding a link to the file mentioned in the article.

tutorial: Designing  your own entities with vertex arrays
link: http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.3/graphics-vertex-array.php

main file I suggest adding to the wiki is "tileset.png" (attached to this post)

however it might also help adding a corresponding pixel editor file so that completely new people to the subject can download the free application, open it in the pixel editor software and see how it is formatted to create their own. I am using Pyxel Edit for this purpose and I have also attached the corresponding .pyxel file for this application (attached to this post). This is a commercial software package but a free (older) version can be obtained free of charge from the official website (I'm not affiliated and this is not a hidden ad :P ).

Cheers

EDIT: Removed unknown artist's tiles.

EDIT: Added my own tile files & added embedded picture.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:20:31 pm by mpeg3 »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: tileset.png for tutorial Designing your own entities with vertex arrays
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:51:46 pm »
This was brought up before; no-one was sure which licence is applied to the image and not sure who created it or couldn't contact its creator. Therefore, sharing this image might be against the limits allowed by the creator.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

mpeg3

• gdinit@github
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:21:55 pm »
This was brought up before; no-one was sure which licence is applied to the image and not sure who created it or couldn't contact its creator. Therefore, sharing this image might be against the limits allowed by the creator.

That's a valid point. I have edited 1st post, removed the files I created by modifying unknown artist's work. Instead added hopeless artist's work (mine). it's ugly but gets the point across, I still think it would be beneficial to give people something they can open and inspect. license is cc0, public domain, free to add if you like.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:35:41 pm »
I always intended to create new tiles to use for this that would be globally distributable but never got around to it so I'm glad you did :)

I did do a quick version once so someone could reproduce it; it was mostly just coloured blocks apart from the tree  ;D

This does go to show that it would be useful to have the ability to distribute the tiles so people can reproduce the example.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 12:11:41 am »
Here's an awesome looking tileset which has really cool license which permits you to distribute it easily:
http://lpc.opengameart.org/static/lpc-style-guide/index.html#

Demo:

If the license is still not too good, I think that having good looking tileset for tutorials is really important. Ugly tilesets can provide some bad feelings about the library/tutorials.

however it might also help adding a corresponding pixel editor file so that completely new people to the subject
Isn't a simple .png enough for this? Why create dependency on some editor considering png can be edited with nearly every editor?
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

mpeg3

• gdinit@github
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:27 am »
Here's an awesome looking tileset which has really cool license which permits you to distribute it easily:
http://lpc.opengameart.org/static/lpc-style-guide/index.html#

Demo:

If the license is still not too good, I think that having good looking tileset for tutorials is really important. Ugly tilesets can provide some bad feelings about the library/tutorials.

however it might also help adding a corresponding pixel editor file so that completely new people to the subject
Isn't a simple .png enough for this? Why create dependency on some editor considering png can be edited with nearly every editor?

Better looking tile is definitely, well, better.

My suggestion about also supplying pyxel edit file is not creating any dependency however. It is merely providing another file for those who wish to manipulate tiles easily with a special software. Those who do not wish so are not forced to use it, or even download the second file.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:45:18 pm by mpeg3 »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
Cool! Would one of you provide a fix for https://github.com/SFML/SFML-Website/issues/46, especially with something with a clean licence?  :D
SFML / OS X developer

mpeg3

• gdinit@github
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:40 pm »
Cool! Would one of you provide a fix for https://github.com/SFML/SFML-Website/issues/46, especially with something with a clean licence?  :D

Hello Hiura,

In response to your question, for a fix for SFML website issue #46 (public domain clone of the wiki tileset) please feel free to use the two files in the 1st post. It would do the job till someone supply a better ready-to-use file.

Thanks

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:46 am »
A PR would be even more appreciated.  ;)
SFML / OS X developer

mpeg3

• gdinit@github
    • View Profile

mpeg3

• gdinit@github
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:30 pm »
A PR would be even more appreciated.  ;)

Pulled down the older Pull Request, added a new one in the light of Mario's comment.

New one is at:
https://github.com/SFML/SFML-Website/pull/99

Thanks

anything