Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Has anyone gotten RenderDoc to work?  (Read 2477 times)

hahanoob

• View Profile
Has anyone gotten RenderDoc to work?
« on: September 09, 2016, 03:49:15 am »
If I attempt to launch the game through RenderDoc (https://renderdoc.org/builds, https://github.com/baldurk/renderdoc/wiki/OpenGL) I get the following error:

Failed to create a shader: your system doesn't support shaders

I don't have much experience with OpenGL but my guess is that RenderDoc is loading some extensions which then breaks the tests used by SFML for shader availability?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: Has anyone gotten RenderDoc to work?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
Only Core profile 3.2+ is supported - there are a couple of simple concessions to compatibility mode like using VAO 0 and LUMINANCE textures, but by and large the compatibility profile will not be supported.
There's your problem.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

hahanoob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:39:50 pm »
Ah, I see now SFML always creates a context with he comparability flag. Is that planned to change anytime soon? What do you use for graphics debugging in the meantime?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
Is that planned to change anytime soon?
See this thread for the discussion on the biggest roadblock on the way to a core-only rendering implementation.

What do you use for graphics debugging in the meantime?
gDEBugger got subsumed into AMD CodeXL a while ago. The nice thing is that CodeXL was already free before. Not long ago, AMD decided to make it open source as well, so currently I don't really know of a better OpenGL/OpenCL/DirectX/Vulkan/CPU debugger/profiler than CodeXL. It works well when using non-AMD hardware as well, however as one might expect, AMD hardware can provide more extensive information in certain situations. This might change for the better in the future since it has become open source.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).