Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Working with a multiplatform team  (Read 2947 times)

starstriker1

• View Profile
Working with a multiplatform team
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:01:21 am »
I'm switching from HGE to SFML for my next project. I'm missing some of my favourite features, but cross-platform compatibility was my primary concern.

My development team consists of me and one other person, and we need to collaborate remotely. We've already got our repository and such set up, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to effectively share the library across the source control. Were we using the same operating system, I'd use the included libs and dlls and just have at it, but my development partner is using a Mac while I'm using Vista.

Will the same source code be usable for both of us? Are there any major "gotchas" when working on multiple platforms at once with SFML, as opposed to working on a single platform then porting later?

Thanks!

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:18:37 am »
Since both platforms are supported by SFML, you won't have any major glitches.

Versioning external libraries is normally not a good habit (there're reasons when it's a good idea, like direct dependencies for library development, like image loading sources in SFML). If you don't make modifications to the SFML source tree, I don't see a reason why it should be versioned. Just make sure that you two grab the same SFML version and you're done.

gsaurus

• View Profile
    • Evolution Engine
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »
If your code is cross-platform, you shouldn't have problems on compiling it on each OS.
As for the external libraries (SFML), just what Tank said  :wink:
Pluma - Plug-in Management Framework

Trass3r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »
By the way, if your friend's on mac maybe he could also help out Laurent by maintaing (parts of?) the mac port of sfml :)

anything