Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 9001  (Read 18604 times)

Sub

• View Profile
Re: 9001
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 07:04:51 pm »
I made a main menu, though once again the compression on the video doesn't do it any favors

https://youtu.be/X5BPbP4rvTE

You have to be in 1080p and fullscreen to notice it but there's a particle system simulation going on in the background that you can subtly interact with

I also took another video of me playing.  I'm going to have to do something to make this brighter, because it's way too dark in these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCurfC94HiM

Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 07:06:25 am »
https://youtu.be/4ayTI0Zbku8

It's very WIP right now. 

I'm playing as the guy in red fighting against the purple guy.  There are two ways to damage your opponent

1)  Melee.  When two players collide, a melee collision occurs.  The winner is whoever was moving faster in their opponents direction.  The loser gets damaged and knocked back.  It's hard to tell when this happens in the video and who wins the melee clash because it still needs graphics for it.
2)  Energy Attacks.  These are only half-implemented at the moment

There's a red circle around me which indicates how much energy I have.  The larger the circle the more energy.  When the circle is red energy is being drained, when it's green energy is being gained.  You use energy from moving, teleporting, and charging energy attacks.  You start to regain energy after a brief moment of not using energy.  If you run out of energy, you have to wait a second before it starts to recharge. 

The idea is that you want to outmaneuver your opponent to score a hit. 

I'm working on a meta-game surrounding this giving you something to fight over.  The idea is that what you're looking at would be an individual level, which would be considered an entire world.  You'd have to kill everyone on the world (roughly 4 enemies per world) in order for it to be conquered.  I'm working on a very simple mount-and-blade like galaxy view where various factions are fighting over the planets.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:52:40 am by Sub »

rubenwardy

• View Profile
    • rubenwardy.com
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 07:35:31 pm »
The rendering on this is quite impressive! Are they particle systems?
Student, Game Developer, and Open Source contributor. Core Developer of Minetest, an voxel game engine

Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 04:51:01 am »

The rendering on this is quite impressive! Are they particle systems?

Thank you!  And sorry, I somehow missed your reply here.  If all goes well the energy attack system will be giant balls of particles, but the aura-like effect that I think you're talking about probably doesn't fall under the category of a particle system?

It's made using verlet physics for the background.  You can think of it like either a giant grid where each point is connected to its neighbor to the top and to the right in a ragdoll system, or like a modified cloth simulation where I'm drawing quads between the points on the cloth.  Individual points are attracted to nearby players depending on their speed.  The quads are drawn with a slight transparency such that it creates an aura-like effect when overlapping with each other.

The terrain operates on this grid as well, where each point can either be air or terrain. Terrain points next to each other are automatically connected, forming impassable lines. Terrain points can jump from their current grid-point to a neighboring grid point if they're pushed far enough towards the new points direction.

The player graphics are using verlet physics too, they're just stick-figures reacting to forces applied depending on the players actual velocity. 

---

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for some of the required Steam marketing images.  There's a gallery below of possible header images to use for steam (it's that small image which appears to the right of the videos / screenshots). I guess my question is do any of these work or could they work with some tweaking, or should I do something else for this? I should add that if i decide to use one of those images i'd actually go through the effort of centering or aligning the text better

https://imgur.com/a/n6orpYa

Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 11:19:02 pm »
I recorded another video. There's still no energy attack system yet but I'm almost done with an initial version of the galaxy meta-game surrounding the combat (not shown here though). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3YSzht6Io&feature=youtu.be