Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Breaker_IS  (Read 6782 times)

thebwainz

• View Profile
Breaker_IS
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:10:53 am »
About

A small project I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's a block breaking game, is in space, and has weapons :)
Each world has a bunch of levels, and each level has multiple waves, including a boss wave

Gameplay

This is me playing the first level (with a very short boss fight because of my strong weapon):

Make sure to watch in 60 FPS

Download

Download the game here

Screenshots

Here are a few screenshots:

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Controls

Fully mouse-driven!

Left mouse button to launch the ball,
mouse wheel to adjust the ball launch angle,
right mouse button (can be held)  to shoot.

I'd like to know what you like or dislike about the game, and maybe a few ideas for weapons and blocks.

I'll be adding new levels with new blocks soon, so stay tuned :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:37:29 am by thebwainz »

Kalnos

• View Profile
Re: Breaker_IS
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »
Looks awesome, sometimes it can be difficult to see where the ball actually is with the particles + text flying around from destroyed blocks. 

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:18:22 am »
Yep, looks and sounds great, but also the ability to clearly see balls seems to be my main concern. It's just getting a bit too crowded/blurry with everything being gray. Maybe make the ball's color change to green or blue, possibly optional or as power ups or difficulty changes?

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 01:38:34 pm »
Looks pretty good. Nice work!

Other than the ball visibility issues, I have issue with "weapon up". It suggests that the weapon would be getting better but doesn't it just change it to a different one, which might not be as good? The fact that the power ups/downs are not very clear too is a slight concern.

Still, it looks pretty well put together so congratulations! :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:33:46 pm »
Nice, looks very well polished! 

MrOnlineCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:40:29 am »
Looks pretty cool, especially theese effects. Good job!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 03:38:17 pm »
I had some issues downloading the zip completely on my parent's really slow internet connection. It always seemed to stop before I fully downloaded it. Since you use some session token system, how long is one token valid? Could it be that the time runs out before I mange to download it? For 45.8MB I need around 2+min to download it.
Downloading it remotely at my apartment with fast internet worked fine, so I could reupload it somewhere else and download it completely here. :)

As for the game, I find it a bit irritating that the ball will be bounced off downwards when you hit it from the side. Sure it's "physically" not correct, but in pretty much all Breakout games I've played, when you manage to slide the paddle into the ball just in time, it would sill bounce off upwards.
This in my opinion makes it often pretty much impossible to balance multiple balls or to catch balls that are coming in with a very flat angle, because you can't just do a quick movement to adjust the paddle, because it will just collide with the side and bounce off to the bottom.

Since I had to play the first level multiple times just to progress, I noticed that the game can sometimes be rather unbalanced. When you've collected a few items you suddenly can stop caring about any balls on the screen and just mow down everything, while other times you have to tediously try to adjust the paddle just right to get these few bricks from the sky. I'm sure some of the imbalance is wanted, but I feel it can be quite extreme at times. A possible fix might be to dynamically adjust the drop rate of items or bind the drop rate to time. That way when you're already powerful, you won't get drops after drops.

Then again maybe I'm just bad at breakout games and am used to casual versions of it. ;D

Overall I have to say, as with Slimey Carnage, nice polish. Good sound design and the particle effects are awesome!
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:06:36 pm »
Looks awesome, sometimes it can be difficult to see where the ball actually is with the particles + text flying around from destroyed blocks. 
Yep, looks and sounds great, but also the ability to clearly see balls seems to be my main concern. It's just getting a bit too crowded/blurry with everything being gray. Maybe make the ball's color change to green or blue, possibly optional or as power ups or difficulty changes?

I made the ball glow much brighter. Hopefully that's enough

[...] I have issue with "weapon up". It suggests that the weapon would be getting better but doesn't it just change it to a different one, which might not be as good? [...]

I made adjustments to the weapons and now they get objectively stronger the better upgraded they are. I also buffed all weapons a bit. The scatter laser's projectiles also spawn differently now (to the player's advantage)

[...] The fact that the power ups/downs are not very clear too is a slight concern. [...]

Do you mean the text that shows up when picking up the powerups is unclear or the powerups themselves (color)?

[...]I noticed that the game can sometimes be rather unbalanced. When you've collected a few items you suddenly can stop caring about any balls on the screen and just mow down everything, while other times you have to tediously try to adjust the paddle just right to get these few bricks from the sky. I'm sure some of the imbalance is wanted, but I feel it can be quite extreme at times. A possible fix might be to dynamically adjust the drop rate of items or bind the drop rate to time. That way when you're already powerful, you won't get drops after drops. [...]

Good point. My original plan for the game was for it to be casual (and unbalanced, benefiting the player) and have the player be overpowered, and have tons of stuff on the screen etc. but you're right, sometimes it's too extreme. I'll implement something that deals with that issue in the next version

A new version will be out some time this weekend

Thank guys :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:20:14 pm by thebwainz »

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 09:45:02 pm »
Btw. this reminds me a lot of an old Arkanoid clone I've played almost 20 years ago: Winbrick. Don't think it was really known outside of Germany, but look around. Unfortunately I couldn't find any good screenshots or non-laggy videos.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 09:13:12 pm »
Nice game! However at 1:55 approx. there seems to be a collision bug: https://youtu.be/c6aMoEp3rlI?t=1m55s (pay attention to the center ball)