Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tutorials  (Read 13462 times)

rockstar8577

• View Profile
Tutorials
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:34:08 am »
I was wondering if you could maybe make some more in depth tutorials. The tutorials are fine, it explains them but it doesnt really give the reader a feel of using it. Well not for me anyways i was wondering if others thought the same.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »
Hmm. What do you mean by "feel of using it", if the functionality itsself is explained well? Do you mean that there are no code examples in a wider context such as a small game?

Concerning design choices, there are so many ways to go, I don't know if it were good is SFML propagated one of them. But if you browse the forum, you'll find a lot of real-world examples. I sometimes write about design questions, too. Besides, you can find some code samples in the SFML installation folder.

Of course, you can ask a specific question at any time if you don't see how to implement something properly or don't know a common technique.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

rockstar8577

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »
Well, in my computer class we usually just learn what the function is what it does and how to do it. Then we go and do a program or two with it. With these tutorials it seems more like he tells you what it is and does and that's it. I don't know maybe its just me.

phear-

• MSN Messenger - LOApokalypse@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://gtproductions.org
Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:48:57 pm »
Well what do you want a tutorial on?
Eugene Alfonso
GTP | Twitter

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 09:00:06 pm »
Quote from: "rockstar8577"
Well, in my computer class we usually just learn what the function is what it does and how to do it. Then we go and do a program or two with it. With these tutorials it seems more like he tells you what it is and does and that's it. I don't know maybe its just me.

When I saw the tutorials for first time I thought they were perfect :D

Walker

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:05:22 am »
I quite like them too :). I guess different people like different things...

I like to learn by experimentation, go through the tutorials (and DO them) and read what each bit does, if you want more info on a particular command/class, look it up in the docs. If there is something in there that just doesn't make sense, search and ask in the forums.

In the tutorials I really recommend doing each bit as it is presented, don't just download the code and run it.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »
Well, in my computer class we usually just learn what the function is what it does and how to do it. Then we go and do a program or two with it. With these tutorials it seems more like he tells you what it is and does and that's it.
You mean the programming part is missing? Hey, that's your task, not SFML's. ;)

As stated, you'll find a lot of code examples in the forums, the wiki and some even in the SDK.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

rockstar8577

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:59:27 am »
Quote from: "Nexus"
Well, in my computer class we usually just learn what the function is what it does and how to do it. Then we go and do a program or two with it. With these tutorials it seems more like he tells you what it is and does and that's it.
You mean the programming part is missing? Hey, that's your task, not SFML's. ;)

As stated, you'll find a lot of code examples in the forums, the wiki and some even in the SDK.

No i think its more of giving me someway to implement it, like to make a small program using the function.

model76

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:04:51 am »
No i think its more of giving me someway to implement it, like to make a small program using the function.
Maybe you didn't notice, but at the end of each tutorial, there is a down-loadable .cpp file with a small program that does exactly that.  :)

phear-

• MSN Messenger - LOApokalypse@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://gtproductions.org
Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »
Nobody answered my question... what should there be a tutorial for? Give an idea
Eugene Alfonso
GTP | Twitter

model76

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:18 pm »
If you are taking requests, then I would like a set of complete beginners tutorials on creating and using post effects with SFML 1.5/1.6.  :D

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:43:12 pm »
Quote from: "model76"
If you are taking requests, then I would like a set of complete beginners tutorials on creating and using post effects with SFML 1.5/1.6.  :D

This is not SFML specific, just find a general GLSL / post-fx tutorial :P
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

model76

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:19:45 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Quote from: "model76"

This is not SFML specific, just find a general GLSL / post-fx tutorial :P

Ah yes, you are right of course. It is just that the ones I have seen are not as beginner friendly as I would like. Maybe I didn't look closely enough, though. Something in the style of the SFML tutorials would be nice!

But no ideas for truly SFML-specific tutorials, really. So maybe an appendix? Those can be kind of boring to do, though.

sponsz

• View Profile
Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:08:34 am »
For postfx, there should be a library of effects that you can put in, included in SFML.

My guess is that people are writing certain shaders over and over: blur, glow, HDR, bloom.  Burning blur.

Why not include 10 basic postfx shaders?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:14 am »
Why not include 10 basic postfx shaders?

There are already five of them in the postfx (shader in SFML 2) sample.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything