Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: HTTPS, SSL  (Read 6127 times)

0x00

• View Profile
HTTPS, SSL
« on: January 28, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »
Hello community, time to time I think anyone who want work with network data with oauth2 or something else (I mean all what works on HTTPS protocol) faced with not-friendly interfaces. So SFML do you have any plans on this? Because C++ standart have no solutions to work from scratch with network (SSL) (only in C++20 some remarks). Any others solutions like boost or poco is to fat for using)
C++ is a tool of true demiurg

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: HTTPS, SSL
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:35:53 pm »
HTTPS (and other stuff relying on secured sockets, such as SFTP) is a complex thing, and relies on third-party libraries such as OpenSSL. If someone wants to provide an implementation, why not, but that's not our priority.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

0x00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:09:39 pm »
HTTPS (and other stuff relying on secured sockets, such as SFTP) is a complex thing, and relies on third-party libraries such as OpenSSL. If someone wants to provide an implementation, why not, but that's not our priority.

So if I correctly understood, anyone who want SSL implementation needs to do cross-platform classes and make pull request on github, is it a correct thought?

In latest time more and more sites migrate to HTTPS and some things are not available.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:15:29 pm by 0x00 »
C++ is a tool of true demiurg

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
HTTPS, SSL
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:01:27 pm »
The first step would be to discuss the planned changes, especially the choice of TLS third-party library, here on the forum. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
Depending on how to approach this, Windows and Apple has their own implementation that SFML could possibly use, leaving Linux to use something else like OpenSSL or BoringSSL. Or we could wrap around the same library for all platforms.
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord

korczurekk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »
I'd wrap one library (preferably OpenSSL) on any OS, it would minimize platform-dependent code and be way shorter.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
Wrapping one library isn't a good idea when it comes to security patches — Heartbleed anyone? If the underlying operating system provides own SSL APIs, I'd definitely suggest using those.

anything