Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sf::RenderWindow issues on SFML (2.4.2) [Solved]  (Read 4903 times)

ZeroZ30o

• View Profile
sf::RenderWindow issues on SFML (2.4.2) [Solved]
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:31 am »
Outdated drivers might be the cause considering they haven't been updated in about 4-5 years.

Code & issue:
https://imgur.com/a/kKGOc

Note that I've set framerate limit to 1 because the "failed to activate the window's context" will repeat with every clear and display.
Also, this computer has been able to both compile and run my game on SFML 2.3.2 with no issues.
The issue also happens with SFML 2.4.1.

Driver info:
Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
Last updated on 15/10/2011
Version is 8.17.12.8562

Computer info:
Windows 7

EDIT: Solved, 2.4.2 does NOT have this issue, only 2.4.1 does. I hadn't changed the .dll files around the .exe and so the problem stuck even after compiling in 2.4.2.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:24:19 pm by ZeroZ30o »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: sf::RenderWindow issues on SFML (2.4.2)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:37 pm »
Sorry for the stupid question... but why don't you update the drivers first?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

ZeroZ30o

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:42 pm »
Well I'm actually working with SFML 2.3.2, and I don't really care because that version works on this computer.
My problem is that I don't want to switch to 2.4.2 due to this issue.

The computer I'm using for programming can handle 2.4.2 just fine, too. I'm just on another computer that has this issue.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:01:10 pm »
Ok... but really, why don't you update the drivers? ;D

ZeroZ30o

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »
Ok, the full argument is:

I use SFML 2.3.2 to compile my game. This makes it so that computers with old drivers will be able to run it without updating anything. Obviously, this is much nicer than having to update your drivers.
If I were to use SFML 2.4.2, this would not be the case. People would have to update their drivers, and instead of doing so, most people would be quick to refund the game by assuming that it simply does not work on their system.

I don't update my drivers because I want to be able to see this issue.
Some people don't even know what a driver is nor how to update it, and so I'd like for this issue to be fixed so that I can switch to 2.4.2 in the future and not have any issues.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:10 pm »
binary1248 would probably be able to tell us if something changed in SFML 2.4, or investigate this "issue".

This could be a regression on SFML side, but also a bug in your old driver that we won't fix because NVIDIA probably did it in a driver update.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:25:12 pm by Laurent »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
sf::RenderWindow issues on SFML (2.4.2)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »
And you're sure, you did a clean rebuild with the 2.4.2 library files and didn't just update the include files?
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Turbine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:25 pm »
Some people don't even know what a driver is nor how to update it, and so I'd like for this issue to be fixed so that I can switch to 2.4.2 inacapella and the future and not have any issues.

I'll explain how the industry has dealt with outdated drivers and why I think your reasoning is flawed.

For one, you're testing 1 card from the 3 major players. By default, both nvidia and amd drivers now autoupdate. If they're legacy or using intel hardware, Microsoft will issue windows updates. Furthermore, if you use Steam - it will check your driver versions to find any very outdated drivers.

GPU driver's have bugs, the chance someone has the same gpu version as is small. A lot of the time new gpus are launched with buggy drivers. They can likely only affect one generation/architecture of chip.

ZeroZ30o

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »
Exploiter, I do know that for 2.4.1 it was a clean build and didn't work.

Turbine, I do want to update to 2.4.2 but I need my game to run on those computers with outdated drivers for now. I do think for a major steam release, updating to 2.4.2 could be better, but fixing the issue would just be the best of both versions, so I'd rather have that (obviously).

EDIT: 2.4.2 does work properly, I hadn't changed the .dll files. It's 2.4.1 that has this problem.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:33:42 am by ZeroZ30o »