Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking for team! Fun arcade multiplayer "possession" game  (Read 3791 times)

OmaManfred

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey everyone!

It's me, Mykon, developer of Cuit!
Now that Cuit is finished, and I only need to port it to Linux and Android, I am now looking for a team for my next project. Working alone on a project has it's advantages but also it's disadvantages as the amount of work you have to accomplish is equal to the net amount of work existing.. :D

Also, the idea in my head for the next project is a bit more complex, as it is a multiplayer game.
The idea of the game is still rough, in fact I only just started designing the internal frameworks and hierarchy, so you would still be a big influence in shaping the game itself.

About the idea:
My main idea was to create a fun arcade multiplayer with 4 players, in a 2D environment. The screen is splittet into 4 equal areas, like when you split it once horizontally and vertically in the middle. In each square is one of the players who navigates a 2D character, who can move like a sidescroller - right and left. But: He is not the only one to move his character. The character also will listen to the inputs of certain other players, in some conditions a friend (in a 2vs2 mode), in other conditions an enemy. For example, when the other player who possesses you presses the button to move to the right, your character will also move to the right. If you press that button too, you move right at twice the speed. If you press the button to the left, you won't move at all - And vice versa. The same applies to the player controlling you.

You can see, it can now be pretty difficult actually moving where you want to - If paired up with a friend, it becomes a teamwork test. When paired up with an enemy, it becomes a battle. Because the main goal of the game is - of course - to kill the enemy team. To do so, you can build your own environment inside your square. Farm blocks and replace them, place mines or chainsaws, spawn evil chickens who want to eat you on contact and more. It really aims to be an arcade experience. In the mid-stage of the game, players now will be able to destroy the barriers between their areas to move around the whole level, so that others actually can fall into your traps. To make the whole game a bit more balanced and tactical, Powerups are planed to be a thing: Immunity, double movement power, choosing who you possess, inverting controls and more.

That's about the idea. As I said, it's still a pretty early idea, but if you are interested, feel free to join the team! :) As mentioned, I already released one game with SFML, so I kinda know what I am doing :P

Looking for:

• 2D Artist
  • Gameplay Programmer
  • Network Programmer

All the best,
Sebastian
(Mykon)
(OmaManfred)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:34:56 pm by OmaManfred »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Looking for team! Fun arcade multiplayer "possession" game
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:56:48 pm »
The multiplayer co-operation sounds interesting. It reminds me of Trine...

One thing that isn't clear though is the type of multiplayer. You mention networking, which suggests online multiplayer, but state that it's going to be splitscreen multiplayer, which suggest local multiplayer. If it's online (or otherwise networked), the screen shouldn't need to split, should it?

I wish I could help but I don't think I could fit into those categories so good luck with this; I'll be watching with interest :D
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

OmaManfred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:27:47 am »
Hey! No, it's not a splitscreen, it's how the level is split up. Each character just "lives" within one of those rectangles, until they can destroy those walls and also enter enemy territory :P

eliassolo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 10:41:19 am »
I wnat you to help me you said you know about Android how i can import movement to Android with sf::touch can you explain me pls?

anything