Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sideview tactical rpg - first mockup  (Read 3567 times)

GameBear

• View Profile
    • Email
Sideview tactical rpg - first mockup
« on: May 29, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »
So, I'm currently working on procedural generated areas and some simple artificial neural network mixed with state machine for ia.
After a lot of iterations it hit me how usable this thing was for a game. So I started making some mockup art while away from my programming computer.

This is not much, but more will come :)

One challenge ahead of me will be rendering the outline of partially hidden objects and units... Anyone have a suggestion on that?

Best regards :)

string message = "some random dude";
cout << "I'm just " << message;

GameBear

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sideview tactical rpg - first mockup
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:02 pm »
How my map generator forms out side view maps.. I'm pretty happy with the result...

It generates maps top down, sometimes making loops, side tunnels, shafts and big open rooms, all maps generates makes sure that there is always a way to avoid falls of more than 6 tiles.
Agents can use a rope to crawl down 5 tiles, and he can jump 2 tiles to hang on to ropes. I'll have to figure out if i should add "swing" to the ropes or if that would be to complicated for the ai.
Right now Ai is okay at moving around, but bad at finding their way, i'm considering giving them a* or another path finding, another option would be to give them memory of where they have been.

but each time i add a new feature i also have to retrain the ai's

Ethan.Calabria

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:20:21 am »
You were asking about how to render partially hidden objects, I think that depends on on the game.  Do you control a single unit, or is this sort of a simulation?  Is the game turn based or real time?  Good work so far! 
----
Follow me on twitter: here

GameBear

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:55:11 am »
Right now it is a simulation, mainly because I try and train the agent ai to navigate correctly.

But the game mode will be real-time, you will control one aentral figure, through him effect others.
but you will need to be able to see all units, including hidden ones on "your team" and any spotted.

Also, thanks :)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:18:40 pm »
You'd basically have to render the full outline over the front layer and then render the front layer on top of that again, but only apply the transparent bits, only then you render the front layer on top of the game. This I think should be possible with blend modes, but no idea how exactly.

The more common approach is to use an outline shader, but I've no experience with that either.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

anything