Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Add documentation for MacOS/Homebrew install?  (Read 6222 times)

alxmjo

• View Profile
Add documentation for MacOS/Homebrew install?
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:10:12 am »
I've installed SFML via the XCode tutorial on the website (https://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.4/start-osx.php) and via this guide which uses Homebrew and CLion (http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2015/06/02/Creating-an-SFML-project-on-Mac-OS-using-CLion-and-CMake.aspx). I find the latter to be much more straightforward.

Since SFML is focused on being simple and fast, perhaps there should be another page which guides users on this method? I'm willing to write it.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Add documentation for MacOS/Homebrew install?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:46:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I understand the concern about simplicity of usage.

If you can write a simple step-by-step tutorial that describes

- how to create an application bundle,
 - how to add resources to the application resource directory,
 - using exclusively cmake, brew & the command line

then I'd happily translate/integrate it as an alternative to our existing getting started tutorial with Xcode.

I'd rather avoid talking specifically about CLion in that tutorial because one might use other tools and that would defeat the purpose of an alternative & generic tutorial for mac. It should also be noted that the brew formula is provided by the community itself and therefore in case of trouble the manual install should be preferred. Additionally, it should clearly state that the Xcode templates are only available through the manual installation.

In addition to the points above, the tutorial you refer to lacks something of high value for mac users: it doesn't explain how to embed resources in an application bundle nor how to access them. See the discussion about `resourcePath` at the end of the official tutorial. The new tutorial should definitely explain how to deal with that.

So... up to the task?  ;)
SFML / OS X developer

alxmjo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
Thanks for being receptive to the idea. I'm not sure if I am up to the task, but I will certainly try.  :)

I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

alxmjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:50:57 pm »
After a lot of research, it seems that creating an app bundle without Xcode would negate the simplicity of installing SFML via homebrew. But thank you for entertaining the idea and not shutting me down right away.

That said, I believe the other installation method still has its merits. I only use SFML with my students on an ad hoc basis, and I find it helpful to be able to install SFML via homebrew and make a program (locally, at least) in a few minutes. For someone who's familiar with C++ and just wants to dip their feet into GUI's, I think this is a decent alternative to the traditional macOS installation method listed on the website.

anything