Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is there any Book For SFML ..?  (Read 6364 times)

rahul8590

• View Profile
Is there any Book For SFML ..?
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:29:12 pm »
Hello everyone ..

Unarguable , we know that SFML is one of the fastest and simplest programming tool for graphics and other things.
But , i was wondering if there exist any book which is written for SFML , which helps noobs to learn this in a systematic fashion.

model76

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:18:53 am »
Not that I know of, but when Laurent writes one, he will hake a fortune (hint, hint) ;)

gsaurus

• View Profile
    • Evolution Engine
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:43:18 am »
:lol:
It doesn't have to be Laurent writing it :wink:
Pluma - Plug-in Management Framework

rahul8590

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:03:32 pm »
Well.. i am not as professional as you guys .. in this field . But i dont want many people to stop using or not learn SFML , just because there is no book or cuz of the fact that  documentation is complex.

With all due respect , i want to write small tutorials of mine (programming at beginning level) and i would be glad if you guys could help me out.

gsaurus

• View Profile
    • Evolution Engine
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »
I personally think that the available documentation (when updated) is great, simple and easy to understand. There are tutorials, examples, and the full documentation well explained, I think it can hardly be better  :lol:

Most problems for beginners on using it are usually general programming and architectural issues more than SFML particularly.
Maybe the wiki needs a page with external links pointing on that direction, but usually users aren't interested in exploring concepts and trying things out of SFML, they mostly want to go directly to SFML, put hands on work and try it. Then the perfect would be some documentation involving both things, but that's too much for SFML documentation, it's out of scope. That is where a book could get in, something like this: "Multimedia and Game Programming with SFML", teaching programming techniques and how they apply with SFML.
Pluma - Plug-in Management Framework

Grandmaster B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:37:02 pm »
Yes SFML is so simple and well documented that you dont need any book thats repeats whats already there. RTFM ;)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:46 pm »
Here is another thread with a similar discussion. There, I wrote:
Quote from: "Nexus"
SFML is a quite young framework, whereas SDL has been existing for more than 10 years. So, just be a little bit patient, there will be books. ;)
At the moment, a book wouldn't make much sense, because the library is in steady progress. Things change all the time - before a new book is released, it's already outdated. sfml-dev.org is the most up to date source you can have.

And I think that's still relevant, just have a look at SFML 2. By the way, the tutorials are a nice introduction into SFML, in my opinion. In what extent do you find them (or the documentation) complex?
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Luinechor

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »
Hello,

I also thought about buying a book for using SFML, but the tutorials are so easy to understand - you just don't need one, yet. If you want to go know more about a method or class, you can view the documentation any time you want and you'll know everything you need to know. If you still have questions, Laurent's really active on this forum, so he (or any other user) will help you for sure.

Nevertheless, I also thought about writing a book, which will be a) completely free (ebook) or b) very cheap. My english isn't that good, though.  However, I'm sure there will be books in the future about using every single SFML module  to make a nice working application.

anything