Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Can SFML be used to play video sequence?  (Read 6584 times)

electricimage

Can SFML be used to play video sequence?
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:14:54 am »
Actually I would like to elaborate on my question. I am looking at this game on youtube

If you are not familiar with it it's called Symbiocom. When it was out that long ago, I had the game and found out that the image sequences that you see in the youtube video were quicktime movies. I am interested in creating a similar project and I was wondering if SFML could be used to do this without any 3rd party plugins or libraries. I would be using my own movie sequences and of course my file format would not be quicktime, since as you know there are many alternatives now.

My other question is pretty much the same exact question, just a variation. If SFML can do the above? would this mean, that something more dexterous like Dragons Lair could be created. As some of you might know, Dragons lair can be created with Laser Disc or DVD sequences with a clever multimedia playlist. Even though I know about these things, I have no idea how to do all that, which is why I am here. I have a couple of introductory books on SFML and I am liking the library, so I am interested in this. What can you guys tell me about this?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Can SFML be used to play video sequence?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:14:52 am »
SFML can't decode video files itself -- if it could, you would have seen it in the documentation ;)

You can have a look at sfeMovie, it nicely wraps ffmpeg in a SFML-like (and compatible) library.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer