Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Massacre. A Poor 2D Space Shooter (RELOADED) very improved (with videos)  (Read 6213 times)

Tigre Pablito

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Ladies and Guys of SFML Community

So this time I continued working on this poor game. Also, as I was advised before, I made gameplay videos, which are here. There are now 8 levels, visual effects have been improved, there are new ships, and better music (that make the .rar's size a bit greater).

Although the game works fine, I plan to continue working on it.

As always, I would appreciate criticism, advise for improving, or any feedback.

As you will guess, some graphics were made by me, and some others were not. Yeah, I am not an artist (feel free to beat me because of that!).

Video
https://youtu.be/kVUZ-HJnaSc

Video
https://youtu.be/3JO623asOhs

Video
https://youtu.be/uJY6WhteHvU

Game download link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wy14x0jrgpaen7/Massacre%20A%20Poor%202D%20Space%20Shooter.rar?dl=0

Regards
Pablo

bitano

• View Profile
Re: Massacre. A Poor 2D Space Shooter (RELOADED) very improved (with videos)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 11:00:56 pm »
Very nice looking game!

Can i suggest a simple change to get rid of that background image 'tear'? If you mirror the previous version of the image when scrolling up, the background image will appear more natural. I think that's a quick win.  ;D

See attachment

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:40:14 pm »
Looks pretty well done. The white flashes, though, are the worst thing ever! :P

The beginning of the video (during the menu) seems to show two frames at once (well, alternating). Is this just the capture that did this? I found my captures started to do this recently. :(
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Tigre Pablito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:22 am »
Hi Bitano!

Very nice looking game!

Thanks!

Can i suggest a simple change to get rid of that background image 'tear'? If you mirror the previous version of the image when scrolling up, the background image will appear more natural. I think that's a quick win.  ;D

Yes, of course you can.  ;D I already fixed that. A very quick win.

See attachment

Thanks again! May I steal that nice image?   ;)

Hi Hapax!

Looks pretty well done. The white flashes, though, are the worst thing ever! :P

Thanks!
With "the white flashes" you mean when you throw the bomb? (It it is, what do you suggest?  :) ) Or you reffer to the menu screen issue?

The beginning of the video (during the menu) seems to show two frames at once (well, alternating). Is this just the capture that did this? I found my captures started to do this recently. :(

Yes, in my notebook, it doesn't happen that flashing. But in other more powerful machines, such as my friend's with which I made the videos, actually I see that issue. And I can't figure out why this occurs. But I'll continue squeezing my brains.  8)

Thank you both for the feedback!  :)

lukaius

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:50:24 am »
Looks great!! Gratz! ;D

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:57:17 pm »
Hi Hapax!
[...]
With "the white flashes" you mean when you throw the bomb? (It it is, what do you suggest?  :) ) Or you reffer to the menu screen issue?
Hi! :)
Yes, the bomb I think in the first video at approximately 0:50. Suggestions would be flashing slower (not alternating each frame), a single 'flash' that lasts a bit longer and maybe also affect the sprites and not just the background. Also, the flash should probably fade in and out. Definitely out (out should probably be slower too). You could also consider not using full bright white too - maybe just an off-white; it could just increase the brightness/gamma of everything a bit instead of overlaying/replacing it with a solid colour.

So, the menu flickering actually occurs on the other computer even when it's not capturing?
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

bitano

• View Profile
Hi Bitano!

See attachment

Thanks again! May I steal that nice image?   ;)

Sure. It's not mine though. I googled it.

Tigre Pablito

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Lukaius!

Looks great!! Gratz! ;D

Thanks!

Hi Hapax!

Yes, the bomb I think in the first video at approximately 0:50. Suggestions would be flashing slower (not alternating each frame), a single 'flash' that lasts a bit longer and maybe also affect the sprites and not just the background. Also, the flash should probably fade in and out. Definitely out (out should probably be slower too). You could also consider not using full bright white too - maybe just an off-white; it could just increase the brightness/gamma of everything a bit instead of overlaying/replacing it with a solid colour.

I took a time to (try to) fix the issue about the bomb. So I managed, when throwing the bomb, to make the enemy ships get some flashing, and the lightning some special effect (for which I used the Image alpha channel). Anyway, maybe I'll keep on trying to improve that.
Thanks for the idea!

So, the menu flickering actually occurs on the other computer even when it's not capturing?

Yes, it does. On any more powerful CPU (3 or 3.5 GHz).
Today I also made a change on the main loops, I did something like a distribution. So maybe it won't occur any more. I  would have to check it out.

Hi Bitano!

Sure. It's not mine though. I googled it.

Thanks! I'll use it.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
Today I also made a change on the main loops, I did something like a distribution. So maybe it won't occur any more. I  would have to check it out.
The one suggestion I can think of for this is to make certain that you are only calling display on the window once per frame/loop (and at least once per loop); it's possible that it's the result of flipping the buffer more than required (or not when required).

Remember, each cycle/loop/frame should have one clear, any number of draw calls, and one display.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Tigre Pablito

• View Profile
    • Email
The one suggestion I can think of for this is to make certain that you are only calling display on the window once per frame/loop (and at least once per loop); it's possible that it's the result of flipping the buffer more than required (or not when required).

Remember, each cycle/loop/frame should have one clear, any number of draw calls, and one display.

Well, Hapax, so finally I have solved this tedious issue, thanks you  :). In addition to having distributed the main menu, the option screen, and the game itself, each one into a class, instead of having tricky nested loops, today I learnt something very important: the Display() method does not destroy the contents of its previous call, so it's necesary to call Clear(), not only if you need to paint the screen ( window.Clear(Color.Blue) ). Also, I feel that I guess that this overload of the RenderWindow object (by displaying and not clearing) was the cause of the memory access violation exception that occured often, even when quiting the program.

Then, to the improvements I have been doing these days, now I add the fix of the menu screen flickering issue (the fixes were uploaded). So, thank you very much.  ;D

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted :)
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*