Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How to have PRs merged faster without lowering quality  (Read 22150 times)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: How to have PRs merged faster without lowering quality
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 10:14:39 pm »
I've already spent multiple hours writing my original response and honestly, I rather invest my time into other things, than having everything I wrote being slammed down and things I suggest as improvements not being discussed at all.

Regardless, as suggested, I've created a new sub-forum for advertising PRs and searching for testers. If anyone feels like the sub-forum needs a bit more explanation feel free to create a thread and I'll sticky it. :)

Additionally, I've started a PR for Issue and PR templates. I think they can still be improved, but I'm also highly interested in what others would put there. So please head over to GitHub and make some suggestions.

Hiura suggested to create a GitHub Project at the organization level. As it is right now, I don't really see a huge benefit to it - the only difference is that we now have some website tasks there as well - and as down side, it could be less discovorable. The main SFML repo will be the entrypoint to SFML on GitHub for most and very few will navigate to the organization level to find the GitHub project there.

We're not trying to intentionally delay the merging of PRs, but we're also not trying to merge everything as fast as humanly possible for no other reason than to be fast. If someone feels they're being blocked by a certain PR, then simply let the team know and maybe we can free some resources to get it done quicker. The fact is, that SFML has very few regression issues, because we give PRs time, so people can review and test it whenever they have time.
And again, just because a PR author wants reviewers and testers right this instance, doesn't mean we can magically summon those people or create a alternate dimension in which there's no time flow. People will look at it when they have time.
And finally, not every PR will attract the same attention. Since you like examples, check out binary1248's RT optimization PR, you get a lot of testers within a short period of time, because optimizing a game may directly affect sales or at least make the devs and the gamers more exited for the game, while for example a CMake config adjustment is only really important to a handful of people and you'll have to search long to find someone that gets overexcited about it. Not everything will attract people the same way. ;)

I try my best, but I'm also just a human with a full-time job and a heavy investment in playing online games. :D
And in the meantime we've made a lot of progress with moving SFML closer to a 2.5 release.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:16:23 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:44 pm »
I've already spent multiple hours writing my original response
And you may save weeks of delays :) Thank you for opening the section and I hope it'll prove useful.

and honestly, I rather invest my time into other things, than having everything I wrote being slammed down and things I suggest as improvements not being discussed at all.
Well as you didn't look convinced on the "why", it's expected that there were not many answers on your "how". I didn't mean to ignore your efforts in any way.

If anyone feels like the sub-forum needs a bit more explanation feel free to create a thread and I'll sticky it. :)
Right now I would suggest small additions to current Contribution Guidelines to make is somewhat become a habbit:
- at the end of "Testing" section: Additionally, you can check the dedicated sub-forum for pull requests that need help on testing.
- in "Sending patches/pull requests" section, as bullet point 4: In order to get faster feedbacks on review and testing, feel free to open a topic in the dedicated sub-forum and communicate on what help is needed.

Additionally, I've started a PR for Issue and PR templates. I think they can still be improved, but I'm also highly interested in what others would put there. So please head over to GitHub and make some suggestions.
Nice! Seems like a nice lowcost addition.

Hiura suggested to create a GitHub Project at the organization level. As it is right now, I don't really see a huge benefit to it - the only difference is that we now have some website tasks there as well - and as down side, it could be less discovorable. The main SFML repo will be the entrypoint to SFML on GitHub for most and very few will navigate to the organization level to find the GitHub project there.
I agree about SFML repo being the main entry point so I don't think it's needed.
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 07:41:25 am »
My aim with the GitHub Project at the org level is to promote a bit more the tasks related to other components, such as the website or CI. But if it's deemed not accessible enough, then, of course, it would defeat its purpose...
SFML / OS X developer

anything