Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unexpected unicode values  (Read 1383 times)

ryandaniels

• View Profile
Unexpected unicode values
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:50:52 am »
Probably a very simple question, but I've been searching for a while and haven't been able to answer it.

In my program, I need to get text from the user. I didn't have any problems until I tried typing the '-' character, which returned a value of 276. According to the Unicode tables I've seen, it should have been 45. Quite a few other characters also appear to not match up. So, I'd like to know if there is a different table that matches up with these different values, or simply a way to convert.

Also I'd like to know if there is an existing way to find what a character should be if pushed with the shift key down. (Minor, already have a solution, just somewhat messy)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:52:32 am »
Can you show the relevant code? Which other characters give you the wrong value?

Also I'd like to know if there is an existing way to find what a character should be if pushed with the shift key down

No. Why do you need to do that??
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

ryandaniels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:26:33 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Can you show the relevant code? Which other characters give you the wrong value?

Also I'd like to know if there is an existing way to find what a character should be if pushed with the shift key down

No. Why do you need to do that??

Upon attempting to copy-paste the code, I discovered my mistake; I had wrongly figured that Event.Text.Unicode could be used if the event was a keypress event. I hadn't been doing this at first, I did it to on a whim to fix an exception, and it seemed to worked, so I forgot about it.

As for your second comment, that was sorta what tipped me off to what I was doing wrong, I thought sfml might already appropriate for when the shift key was pressed, and your incredulity at my question suggested this even more.

In short, everything is working now, thank you.

anything