Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RVWP - Topdown Dystopian Basebuilder (better name needed)  (Read 4323 times)

rubenwardy

• View Profile
    • rubenwardy.com
RVWP - Topdown Dystopian Basebuilder (better name needed)
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:50:17 pm »
I have been working on a game for the last 3 years, on and off.

I’m aiming towards a city-based game, where players can wander around a procedurally generated city. The concept is you'll run a community of rebels in a dystopian future, so there will be mechanics such as stealth and avoiding standing out.

I haven't got much actual game play, but I have a partially functional networked world with multiple z-layers. RVWP originally standed for Ruben's Virtual World Prototype, but now stands for Ruben's Virtual World Project.

The map is made up of 3 layers - terrain, flooring, and objects. Each of these is registered using Lua scripts and stored in using the Type Object pattern. I choose this instead of ECS as it's easier to serialise and send across the network. Moving things on the map - including players - are Entities. Entities use an ECS with components mostly implemented in Lua.

The client is structured using a MVC pattern. There's controllers and views for each window, the HUD, and the scene. There are also multiple controllers for the player input, which allows the type of input (keyboard/mouse/etc) to be abstracted away from the actual movement code.

More information: https://rubenwardy.com/rvwp/

Blog post detailing history: https://blog.rubenwardy.com/2017/08/13/multiplayer-topdown-sandbox-game/

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:25:25 pm by rubenwardy »
Student, Game Developer, and Open Source contributor. Core Developer of Minetest, an voxel game engine

rubenwardy

• View Profile
    • rubenwardy.com
Re: RVWP - Multplayer Topdown Sandbox (better name needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 07:11:48 pm »
I've made a lot of progress since the opening post!

New World Rendering

The world rendering has been massively overhauled to render all layers in a cross-section where you can walk up and down layers like so:

3D Lighting

I've added support for 3D lighting with day and night transitions:

I've created a webpage with up to date information here: https://rubenwardy.com/rvwp/

And More!

• 8-bit connections for walls
  • Add architect mode
  • Add plots, to represent land ownership
  • Use ENet for networking
  • Improve chunk loading by using spiral search pattern
  • Better inventory GUI, with pictures and tooltips
  • Simplex-noise based map generation
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:21:53 pm by rubenwardy »
Student, Game Developer, and Open Source contributor. Core Developer of Minetest, an voxel game engine

MrOnlineCoder

• View Profile
Re: RVWP - Topdown Dystopian Basebuilder (better name needed)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:48:24 pm »
Thanks for bumping the thread, because I've missed such a nice project  :P

I quite like the minimalistic graphics, and looking for more gameplay details.

Any info on when first playable alpha will be available? Also, is it a commerical project, and if no, is the source code available?

Good luck in future work.

rubenwardy

• View Profile
    • rubenwardy.com
Re: RVWP - Topdown Dystopian Basebuilder (better name needed)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 08:36:47 pm »
Thanks for bumping the thread, because I've missed such a nice project  :P

I quite like the minimalistic graphics, and looking for more gameplay details.

Any info on when first playable alpha will be available? Also, is it a commerical project, and if no, is the source code available?

I have no idea when it will be available. I'm currently keeping the source code closed for two reasons:

• it is not in any playable or usable state, and I don't want to have to support or accept contributions to it
  • so I can decide at a later point whether to make it open source or a proprietary product

I am a contributor to lots of free software projects, but this is something for myself!

I've been publishing things I've learned during the course of this project. See the RVWP webpage for a list, and also these:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:39:07 pm by rubenwardy »

anything