Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 3: Goodbye OpenGL?  (Read 5869 times)

eigenbom

• View Profile
SFML 3: Goodbye OpenGL?
« on: August 19, 2018, 05:02:12 am »
Is the world moving on from OpenGL, and should SFML 3 follow?

I think at this point an independent graphics backend is the simplest choice for SFML. One which will support webgl, opengl, metal, etc. It needn't implement all these, and could just incorporate a library like bgfx to do all the platform dependent stuff.

I know it might be hard to let go of all the OpenGL code in the library.

Ruckamongus

• View Profile
Re: SFML 3: Goodbye OpenGL?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:33:22 pm »
There have been a number of discussions about this already:

And more if you search the forums. I agree though, it would be nice to abstract the underlying graphics library, but upkeep of each backend seems impossible with the small number of contributors. Some people advocate updating OpenGL, some say retain old/backwards compatible OpenGL, some say drop it and go to Vulkan. What about DirectX? Metal for iOS? There are interesting projects on GitHub that implement the Direct3D and Metal API's in Vulkan, but that would require dependency on more people, potential license issues, etc. There are a lot of possibilities, however the designing of the frontend (SFML) and upkeep of the backends (graphics library implementation) are very real issues.

eigenbom

• View Profile
Re: SFML 3: Goodbye OpenGL?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:34:29 am »
Thanks. In a way there are already multiple backends for opengles and platform specific code.

With the right architecture we may find members of the community creating and maintaining different backends. I know at least one dev at Sony has a Vulcan backend for sfml.

anything