Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Excellence (previously Eve Shooter)  (Read 24283 times)

Spidyy

• View Profile
Excellence (previously Eve Shooter)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 11:30:27 am »
I didn't implement the background yet, but the one I will be working of should be quit a surprise.

Friend

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:24 am »
Really excellent start, it looks so professional. The graphics are beautiful as well. It actually reminds me a lot of the Touhou games, especially your choice of bullet graphics and pattern, very interesting and fun.

I have a small question though, I know this may not be the perfect place to ask this, but it's been bothering me. How did you compile the game so that the resources are encrypted in a special file format and all? I'm a beginner programmer so I'm not totally familiar with these things.

Thanks in advance!

Mindiell

• ICQ Messenger - 41484135
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:06:46 am »
Quote from: "Friend"
How did you compile the game so that the resources are encrypted in a special file format and all? I'm a beginner programmer so I'm not totally familiar with these things.
I could say that he used something like this tutorial ;)
Mindiell
----

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »
Quote from: "Mindiell"
Quote from: "Friend"
How did you compile the game so that the resources are encrypted in a special file format and all? I'm a beginner programmer so I'm not totally familiar with these things.
I could say that he used something like this tutorial ;)

Exactly! I inspired myself from this tutorial to create my own DAT files, mixed with a custom Serializer class. (It was with boost at the start) I did a different class for each kind of file (image, animations, sound) and added informations in the header in addition of the tuto header.

Friend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »
Thank you so much for this. It's been bugging me for such a long time, finally got this question answered.

Anyways, I won't distract this topic anymore. Back onto the topic of the excellent shooter game.

In terms of gameplay suggestion, I think it would be great if you take a direction between bullet hell shooter, or action shooter. Bullet hell shooter can be designed to be a slower pace but it would require you to at least be able to see your own hitbox, whereas action shooter's hit box isn't as necessary, but the bullet speed is generally a lot faster and it would be more reaction based. Of course you can take the direction of both of them and it would, IMO, make a very fine game.

Also, if you plan some kind of level editor on release, that would be really fun too, give the players a chance to design their own shooter levels.

In terms of graphics suggestion, I think a great game that you can check out for some crazy graphic inspiration is Beat Hazard. This game reminded me a lot of it and I personally think this is better is a lot of ways, but beat hazard is a very interesting game where the music (which seems like a important factor in this game) is directly tied into the gameplay. I think it does a lot of things wrong, but it's great inspiration nonetheless.

Keep it up and I'm definitely interested in seeing the progress to the final product!

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:43 pm »
Small video update :

Changes are in the description

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 01:15:30 am »
Hey, long time no see, here are some news about the project.

I got a good and a bad news.

The good news is the arrival of Ned Start and Alex into the project! Ned is a talented 3D designer and Alex a composer and sound designer of genius.

I give you two videos of the game development state, with the work of my two new buddies. :]

An ingame footage of the actual state of the game :

And a little slideshow of the rendering and artwork from Ned, with a complete music from Alex, wich remixed one of the music I already composed for the game :
(L'original ici : )

About the changes, I added Ned's background and made a shader system allowing me to introduce a nice shadow shader and glow shader. The ship also became swapable, changing from a fighter form to choper form to bomber form, switching weapon in the same time. Also added a color system for the damages and parenting system for the ennemies. The gameplay changed a bit with that but is not the final one.

The bad news is I'm stopping to use SFML, for the benefit of a full 3D API or full 3D game engine, like Unity3D. 2D is good, but with such 3D models and great rendering, it's a shame to keep with the 2D when, I think, the result could be even better in 3D.

Well, all is proceeding smoothly. :]

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:41 pm »
The game is looking awesome... too bad you gonna leave SFML. I think I suscribed to your youtube channel.

I like the shadows.. do you use a heightmap? I would like to check a tutorial or to have a little explanation about that.

Good job!

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:57 am »
The shadow are pretty simple. Yes, I use a height_map that tell at witch distance I draw each pixel of the shadow.

The shadowmap is simply all my sprites drawn on a RenderImage, than the image is rendered through a "all in black" shader that change the alpha channel to a greyscale image (mainly black :p), then distort with another shader using heightmap.

As I will stop with SFML, I think I'll post the full source-code of the client.

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 01:08:29 pm »
Quote from: "Spidyy"
The shadow are pretty simple. Yes, I use a height_map that tell at witch distance I draw each pixel of the shadow.

The shadowmap is simply all my sprites drawn on a RenderImage, than the image is rendered through a "all in black" shader that change the alpha channel to a greyscale image (mainly black :p), then distort with another shader using heightmap.

As I will stop with SFML, I think I'll post the full source-code of the client.

That would be very productive. Thanks!

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 01:00:44 am »
As said, here come the sources :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BP1QJT2Y

You will found binaries of the game, the resources (sound, images, in .dat) and the sources with the Visual Studio 2008 solution.

Sources are not commented, but I kept them as clean and well-named as possible. If you have problem to understand what I did, feel free to ask.

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 10:38:34 am »
Thanks, it looks pretty neat. Although, the visual studio projects are missing (there is just the solution).

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »
The VS project should be inside the Excellence directory among the source files.

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 08:16:00 pm »
That's right, but I can't still open it with VS2008. It says that DebugTest, RenderImageTest, RenderSystem and SoundFileMaker VS projects are missing, and then closes.

I tried to convert it to a VS2010 project, and it works. Just letting you know!

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 08:35:23 pm »
If the solution don't work, just open the Excellence.vcproj alone. :p

anything