Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is this kind of Project even possible in SFML?  (Read 2030 times)

Trackster

Is this kind of Project even possible in SFML?
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:04:10 pm »
Hello everyone. My question is (probably) simple, but I have problems to find an absolute answer anyway.

Basically, I found this person Video, creating an absolutely awesome Avatar, fully live animated with just a few mouse movements and key presses. Basically the fastest way you could create YouTube videos while keeping quality.

https://youtu.be/WvqrdNBkcoM?t=9

He says by himself that he uses SFML and OpenGL for the whole thing.
Now, the 3D Avatar is literally the entire thing he created, there is nothing else to it.
I really want to try to do this myself, since that person does not share any source code or anything else.

I tried to figure out if this is even possible in SFML, kind of obviously yes since he made the 3D Model with SFML. But when I read the SFMLs FAQ, they state that 3D is not possible with SFML. It is possible with some other stuff, but I am focusing on SFML here right now.

Now I am really curious, is this really possible with SFML? I feel like the person in the Video did it with some other stuff as well, that he didn`t mention.

Would be a blast if anyone could inform me on this!

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this kind of Project even possible in SFML?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:12:47 pm »
As he said he used OpenGL too. SFML lets you use own OpenGL code and OpenGL supports 3D.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:14:40 pm »
They mentioned that it's SFML and OpenGL. Programming OpenGL directly, of course, allows 3D graphics.

Note that the controls aren't just mouse and keyboard. They are using motion tracking and also automatically animated mouth based from the sound.

In answer to your question, yes, you can do this using SFML but to get the 3D bit, you'd need to use some OpenGL directly.
Note that there is a 3D example in SFML's example programs.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Trackster

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:25 pm »
Note that there is a 3D example in SFML's example programs.

I found that code yesterday already. But it did not work. The code loads up, and as soon as the SFML Window opens up it instantly closes with exit code 1
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:49:38 pm by Trackster »

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 07:51:47 pm »
The example should work okay although I haven't tried this latest version myself.

If you are sure that you are including all of the headers in the example too, then your errors sound like a setup problem.
Are you able to use sf::Vector2u yourself by including SFML/Graphics.hpp?
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Trackster

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 07:57:06 pm »

I am not sure how to use Vector2u to test that out...I am completley new to SFML and C++. So both create problems for me.

Trackster

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:08:13 pm »

Well ok now I cant do anything anymore...whenver I start the whole code, it throws the Error

LNK1561 entry point must be defined.

In file LINK...perhaps using SFML and OpenGL in CodeBlocks would be easier? I really dislike Visual Studio at this point..

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:48 pm »
If you're creating a Windows application rather than a console application, the main entry block should be something like:
int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPWSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
}

However, SFML provides a way to map the standard main block to that Windows-type of block.
Unfortunately, I can't remember right now how to use it. Do you have to manually link it? Is it automatically linked with another module? I'm sorry that I cannot recall at the moment.

Just to note, to change whether it is a Windows application or a console application, you change it in the project settings under "Subsystem", which should be under "Linker".
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Trackster

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 08:21:29 pm »
Just to note, to change whether it is a Windows application or a console application, you change it in the project settings under "Subsystem", which should be under "Linker".

When going into Project>Project Properties>Linker>System>SubSystem it is empty. What should i set it to?

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:06:14 pm »
Use the drop-down list (down arrow on the right-hand side) and it should give you options. Choose Console or Windows depending on which you are targetting. Windows, in your case.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

anything