Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Using Eclipse  (Read 6629 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Using Eclipse
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »
You know that this is only necessary when you link dynamically to the CRT? Of course, you can distribute Hello World without DLLs. And I don't think you have zero dependencies at Code::Blocks, using dynamic linkage.

But anyway, it's your decision.

By the way, what I actually meant concerning code distribution: It might be of advantage to have complete MSVC++ projects, since a big part of the C++ community uses this IDE. The less they have to setup, the more probably they will use your library. However, this doesn't imply developping on MSVC++. ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Using Eclipse
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:49:44 am »
If I really once plan to distribute a software, I won't go through dll need matters like here. I do not trust MS anymore with all those packages to add only to get a Hello World running.

A lot of confusion is caused by the fact that a lot of people misunderstand how things really work with Visual C++ (and that Microsoft doesn't make it easy to figure out). In the topic that you quote, MS DLLs are probably not the cause of the problem.
The truth is that VC++ is not different at all than other compilers, regarding dependencies.

BTW, .Net is evil

This doesn't make any sense. .Net is a good and useful technology.
Please don't start stupid trolls (like I did with Eclipse :lol:).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Mindiell

• ICQ Messenger - 41484135
    • View Profile
Using Eclipse
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Please don't start stupid trolls (like I did with Eclipse :lol:).
You were first !
And a troll is always stupid ! (no ?)
 :wink:

Yeah, I was just joking. The thing is the Visual Studio environment is (IMHO) a shame today. I use it to do some Business Intelligence Reports and it takes so much memory !
Second and third things, and most important I think : my "double OS usage" and the fact that CB is usable unzipped like Eclipse but not like VC++. There fore I could not use it anymore on every computer I use (with an external Hard Disk) ;)

By the way, I'll continue on C::B, but will continue to compile everything on Eclipse just to give Laurent the possibility to change his mind ;)
Mindiell
----

anything