Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 3d game engine  (Read 6388 times)

WSPSNIPER

• View Profile
3d game engine
« on: May 09, 2010, 04:19:54 pm »
i've been working on a 3d game engine for a few months now and it uses sfml for window and input, i made my own 3d model format and an exporter for blender and im currently working on creating a scripting language/engine for it. writing a scripting language is super hard and i may abort the mission lol but my engine currently supports a small amount of things. lighting, texturing, billboarding, 3d model loading ( 3ds, md2, cell(mine), obj ), input, game states, 3d math and some sound. much more to come

WSPSNIPER

• View Profile
update
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:12:55 pm »
i just finished a small part of the parser for my scripting lang! it handles if statements and variables lol. i am going to work on getting this into byte code before adding on to it, but i want at least while loops, functions, and maby classes

nulloid

• View Profile
3d game engine
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:07:06 pm »
Well, I want to make a scripting language of my own... how did you write the parser? What did you use? (Of course, if these are top secrets, you don't need to tell, but I'm curious :))

Trass3r

• View Profile
3d game engine
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:26 pm »
Why reinventing the wheel?
Just use Lua.

WSPSNIPER

• View Profile
why not use lua?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:10:04 am »
i program for 2 reasons, 1 is to have fun and 2 is to learn. creating my own scripting language provides me with the opportunity to do both. lua is great but i want to do something i can be proud of and learn a lot form.

p.s. im not reinventing the wheel im improving it, jk lua will own me but i prefer angle script to lua because you dont need to use a 3d party binding lib to export c++ classes and it is statically typed which makes your code much more understandable and less runtime errors.

pdusen

• View Profile
Re: why not use lua?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »
Quote from: "WSPSNIPER"
i program for 2 reasons, 1 is to have fun and 2 is to learn. creating my own scripting language provides me with the opportunity to do both. lua is great but i want to do something i can be proud of and learn a lot form.

p.s. im not reinventing the wheel im improving it, jk lua will own me but i prefer angle script to lua because you dont need to use a 3d party binding lib to export c++ classes and it is statically typed which makes your code much more understandable and less runtime errors.

I suppose that's the difference; I program as a way to create things. So naturally, creating my own scripting language while Lua is right there and so easy to integrate doesn't make sense for me. But I see why it would make sense for you.

Trass3r

• View Profile
3d game engine
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:38:24 pm »
Have never heard about AngelScript. Looks interesting.