Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: First game with SFML - A "Snake" clone  (Read 3247 times)

rileyman

• View Profile
    • Riley Entertainment
    • Email
First game with SFML - A "Snake" clone
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:54:21 pm »
Hello, game developer hobbyists!  About a month ago, I started back on the game development train.  I began with a Pong game, and then moved along to a Snake game.  For the Snake game, I decided to try out SFML, and here I am!

As of this moment, the basic game is done and released -- available over on my GitHub account.  I've also been running a blog series for it over on gamedev.net.

I called it "The Garden of Eating".

I has a menu with various game options, background music, basic sound effects, and both window or full-screen mode:

And here's our snake getting himself into some trouble!

I'll be continuing to work on the game, with an upcoming story mode that I think will be kinda fun.

SFML has been great to work with.  It not only makes it easier to deal with managing the window and rendering, but also makes it a cinch to load and work with all the different game assets.  Thanks to the SFML dev team for putting this out there, and for all the years of work that must've went into it!  I'm super happy with the way my little game has turned out; and I feel like I'll be able to up my game with future projects.  This is my first, but definitely won't be my last ;)

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: First game with SFML - A "Snake" clone
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 01:29:36 am »
Hi and welcome to the community! :)

Game looks good. I particularly like the play on words with the title ;D
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

rileyman

• View Profile
    • Riley Entertainment
    • Email
Re: First game with SFML - A "Snake" clone
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 01:05:05 am »
I took about a two-month break from game development stuff starting in mid-November, but came back to it in January full force with story mode for my snake game.

I think it turned into a pretty fun little arcade game.  :)  Story mode has a bunch of different types of food you can eat, and they have different effects on the snake.  The mazes get trickier as you progress.  I did my best to put as professional a polish on the game as I know how!

The latest version is "garden_of_eating_2_0_0.zip" over on my GitHub account.

I also started a game development series for it over on my Youtube channel, including tidbits on how I'm using SFML.  There will be four parts in the series -- with possibly more if there is interest in how I built the story mode...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:07:25 am by rileyman »