Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Javascript SFML using WebGL?  (Read 2480 times)

Manux

• View Profile
Javascript SFML using WebGL?
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:02 pm »
With the recent developement of HTML5, I observed many websites that are now offering reasonable HTML5 demo content, or even nice applications.
I haven't managed to test any webgl stuff on my own computer :oops: but I've seen some in action.

Also, check out Google's pacman(probably only today though, 21st may)!

So... I wondered if it would be reasonable to eventually think about making a 2D library for WebGL, i.e., SFML for javascript.
I'm not enough into that field of programming to tell wether it would require a change in SFML's API organisation, my guess is that it probably would.

But hey, everyone can dream  8)

Ashenwraith

• View Profile
Javascript SFML using WebGL?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:09:31 am »
Yeah, I was just checking that out and although WebGL uses javascript I believe the core is in C and for speed reasons it would be better to provide a patch to the cores.

There's also a lot of stuff like file loading that is missing or completely different per web browser and how SFML handles it. At best you might be able to emulate SFML's rendering context and subfunctions in javascript.

I think the better solution would be to have web plug-in support for your SFML app. Right now you have to get the alpha of browsers to use WebGL and it will probably never be in internet explorer just like open canvas support isn't there.

anything