Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Real-Time Synthesis?  (Read 5137 times)

sponsz

• View Profile
Real-Time Synthesis?
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »
Has anyone experimented with real-time sound synthesis and mixing?  Is this possible with SFML, and if not, does anyone have any suggestions for another library that works well for this?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Real-Time Synthesis?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »
It depends what you want to do exactly, but it should be ok (look at the sf::SoundStream class).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Trunks7j

• View Profile
Real-Time Synthesis?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:56:22 am »
I'm wondering the exact same thing.  We've created a bunch of using processing/supercollider.

What I'm trying to do is encapsulate this in a smoother more distributable engine, so naturally I'm looking towards rewriting it in C++.  I'm already very familiar with the SFML graphics package but haven't used the audio package beyond playing wav files.  I'm looking for a solution in C++ for real-time synthesis, it doesn't need to be more complex than generation of simple wave forms and low pass filters.

@Sponsz, have you tried doing this in SFML, and if not, have you found any other libraries to be of use?

drmoth

• View Profile
Real-Time Synthesis?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
Hi, then I would recommend OpenFrameworks www.openframeworks.cc
It's Processing for C++ basically, so more complex but with the advantages of C++. There's support for 3D audio and sample playback (using FMOD and OpenAL) but it also supports real-time audio synthesis through RtAudio and also PortAudio. People have already hooked it up to Supercollider using OSC...

You might also want to look at the Synthesis Toolkit STK...

Trunks7j

• View Profile
Real-Time Synthesis?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:46 pm »
I'd prefer to do most of it in SFML, since im familiar with it, but I will definitely check out openframeworks.

A couple days ago I discovered STK (Synthesis Toolkit), but I'm having some trouble compiling it.  There seems to be no community that I can find for it online, but I'll keep working at it.

[EDIT] Actually, it builds fine on my mac, i just tried it.  On windows I get linking errors with some RtAudio/RtMidi objects--though I didn't have to install RtAudio on OSX and it worked.  It seems like the STK src comes with RtAudio, so I dont know why I'm getting this error.

Thanks for the info :)

Real-Time Synthesis?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:02:42 am »
Chuck is a concurrent, strongly timed audio programming language for real-time synthesis, composition, and performance, which runs on Mac OS X, Linux, and Microsoft Windows. It is designed to favor readability and flexibility for the programmer over other considerations such as raw performance.

anything