Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML on Linux with MonoDevelop  (Read 4246 times)

Recoil

• View Profile
SFML on Linux with MonoDevelop
« on: February 16, 2020, 06:53:53 pm »
I recently moved from Windows 7 and Visual Studio to Linux Mint and have been trying to get projects working in MonoDevelop, but kept running into a whole bunch of issues so I decided to just try to start from scratch and pull in what I previously wrote later.

I should note that I have diligently tried following advice on previous posts regarding setting up config files to point to .so files from .dll libraries, but was not successful as the error said:

Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly. Please set the "AutoGenerateBindingRedirects" property to true in the project file. - which I cannot find.

This is what one of my config files loo like:
sfml.graphics.dll.config
&#38;#65279;<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <dllmap os="windows" dll="csfml-graphics-2" target="csfml-graphics-2.dll"/>    
    <dllmap os="linux" dll="csfml-graphics-2" target="libcsfml-graphics.so.2.2"/>
</configuration>

So I am trying to get a simple C# or VB.NET Hello World application up and running with MonoDevelop and SFML, yet keep running into issues with the references, either the .dll files pointing to .so files, or trying to use the SFML.NET package.  I have tried so many things it would be difficult to list them all and their errors trying to piece something together.

So I really hate to ask, but does anyone have a working hello world project they would be willing to share that works with MonoDevelop on Linux?

I am just so lost on getting anything working on this OS.

Balnian

• View Profile
Re: SFML on Linux with MonoDevelop
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 04:20:50 am »
I know it's not answering exactly your question but here's what I would recommend. The easiest way would be to use .net core instead of mono. Since you are starting from scratch it shouldn't be that difficult and .net core is faster than mono. The mapping of the .so is done for you and I think the only thing you might need to do is copy paste the right version of the CSFML libraries next to your executable (It might also do it automatically, just try building and running and if it doesn't find CSFML then that means you need to manually copy them)

Recoil

• View Profile
Re: SFML on Linux with MonoDevelop
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 01:47:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply Balnian.

I've been trying to get simple projects up and running in both MonoDevelop and Visual Studio Code IDE's, but with both I am running into dependency issues (wrong version, unable to locate, etc.).  I do have the latest .Net Core installed on this system, but being new to using Linux I am honestly not sure if everything is configured correctly - which is most likely the root of the problem.

I guess I have been pampered using Visual Studio on Win7 for so long that switching to anything else has been difficult.  It looks like if I want to continue with SFML I am going to have to install Win10 and sell my soul back to M$FT  :-[