Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How to port the Linux source of SFML 1.2 to Mac OS X?  (Read 15441 times)

alpha512

• View Profile
How to port the Linux source of SFML 1.2 to Mac OS X?
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:20:22 pm »
I asked before in this forum if still the plan to port SFML 1.2 to mac but SFML is a nice framework so I would like to know which classes affect to port the Linux SFML 1.2 source code to the Mac?. It is about the windowing system and the audio?.

I think It should be 2 version's of SFML one for Windows and one for Unix(Linux,BSD,Solaris and Mac OS X) using OpenAL for audio and just the windowing system yes the dependent part of the OS but without dependencies, So I could just download the Unix port and compile the source without bother if is Linux or Mac OS X or even Solaris.
I understand the windowing system is different between X11 and Mac but it will be something minimal to modify.

Why no keep multi-platform using OpenAL for audio and not depend of the OS. Check out Pyglet for python is an amazing framework as SFML but is true multi-platform and doesn't required dependencies. I think SFML could be like Pyglet but using ANSI C++, OpenGL and OpenAL.

If I'm wrong in something, correct me please. Thanks.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:52:45 pm »
The Window package is actually the only thing that needs to be rewritten for the MacOS port (which is alive again, btw). The System and Network packages use POSIX libraries which are common to Linux and MacOS, and Graphics / Audio packages use OpenGL / OpenAL which are platform-independant.

So the sources could already perfectly be compiled on MacOS for the Audio, Network and System packages.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

alpha512

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 07:37:53 am »
Awesome news Laurent thanks. I will try to compile the Linux source on Mac OS X and the window package tweak it to see how works.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:41:17 am »
The Window package is being updated to work again on MacOS, it already compiles and works with most of the samples. It should be complete in a few days, with updated XCode project files and frameworks for external libraries.

Then, the MacOS port will be rewritten to use Cocoa instead of Carbon, which will be much better ;)

lzr

• View Profile
    • http://lzr.cc
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:59:09 am »
Hey Laurent, I really hope your still working on that MacOS port. Is it still going strong? I'm about to port my game Ovid the Owl that I made with DirectX/Win32 to SFML for the cross-platformability/to end my dependence on DirectX, and I'm really excited about being able to run my game on MacOS. Just checkin' on the Macintosh situation. Also, when it is released it would be really nice to have a basic tutorial on how to get a program to compile with SFML and Xcode.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:33:25 am »
It's still on its way (I'm not doing it myself though), and should be ready in a few weeks. Some parts are already usable, if you want to test it.

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:36:16 pm »
A few weeks uh.... it depends on whether I can quickly fix the remaining problems (still crashing for now).

I would rather say it'll be ready for next summer as I'll get a new laptop and I'll be able to test my work quite easily. I'm currently using Mac OS X 10.3...

It MIGHT be ready earlier, but I can't be positive.
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!