Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Golden Spike - Public Transport Simulation  (Read 11747 times)

dschouhennes

• View Profile
Golden Spike - Public Transport Simulation
« on: October 15, 2021, 01:14:57 pm »
I've been playing with programming and computer graphics for quite a while, however a couple of years ago I decided to take it to a more serious level and use C++ and SFML to work on a public transport traffic simulation game. In September, I was able to release a first beta on www.goldenspike.de.
For now it is only available in German, however, I plan to release an English website and English game texts as well.

Features:
-create huge maps in realistic scale (e.g. all of Berlin) with vast amounts of lines (all train, tube and Metro bus lines of Berlin, for example)
-free shaping of track directions and curve radius
-station, timetable and delay management
-load map file in JPG format as background to use it as blueprint for city building

Many things are still under development. Right now, GoldenSpike is just a sandbox-type playing tool to create your own model railroad, however I am planning on turning it into a game where you can actually earn money with your lines by planning them wisely - someday.

More things to be implemented:
-shadows of objects and trains (working on it right now  ;) )
-different layers with bridges, tunnels and collision control
-many more vehicles and buildings, landscape, water, ...
-customizable road types with parking, tram, cycle lanes, ...

Feel free to check it out on the website goldenspike.de. There is a download (Windows and in German only, sorry) available that includes maps of Berlin and Dresden.

Very happy to hear from you - comments, questions, suggestions. Looking forward to many interested testers and people recreating their hometown network and sending it to me to be uploaded to the website  :P

Paul

• View Profile
Re: Golden Spike - Public Transport Simulation
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:31:01 pm »
I like the network construction, it's very smooth.

Btw. when you press "M", mouse click on minimap should move view to given point.

dschouhennes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 03:14:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback! The Idea to jump to a point on the minimap by clicking sounds good - I'll implement it in the next version :-)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:58:55 am »
That's awesome. I've always dreamed of building a traffic planning simulation myself. Golden Spike looks like how I'd have approached it myself. Really sweet!

I sent you a mail with a couple of questions. :)

dschouhennes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 04:46:09 pm »
There is a new version available online with some minor bug fixes, as well as a new part (rail split element) and feature: @Paul, you can now click on the minimap to jump to the place :-) Download is available on the website: https://www.goldenspike.de/download-2/

There is also a newsletter (in German), you can subscribe here:
https://www.goldenspike.de/newsletter/

Right now I'm working on enhancing the graphics a little bit (shadows, overhead lines). Here's a screenshot: