Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML tutorial series  (Read 7041 times)

FantasyVI

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML tutorial series
« on: November 07, 2021, 08:39:55 pm »
Hi everyone!

I started using SFML way back in 2011. I have used it on and off for the past 10 years, it's a really cool library. I made a few games with it (nothing released) and I have used it in one of my earlier game engines.

I have taught game development with SFML in my C++ classes at one of the local universities where I live.

It's a little sad that most beginners jump into Unity or Unreal immediately rather than jumping into something more barebones like SDL, Allegro, or SFML to learn the fundamentals of programming. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Unity or Unreal themselves, they are awesome engines and I use them on daily basis, however, I wholeheartedly believe that as a beginner, you must understand the fundamentals of game development first and SFML helps with that a lot.

Therefore I am creating a lecture-style tutorial series on SFML and C++ for complete beginners. My goal is to teach people who have never programmed before SFML and C++ from scratch while explaining the fundamentals of the library, computer science, and computer graphics.

Each lecture is anywhere between 30 min to 2 hours. I deep dive into concepts that normal tutorials never do. Each lecture is live-streamed on YouTube whenever I have the time to do it.

By the end of the series, my plan is to have a fully working polished 2D dungeon RPG game made. This series might take a year to be done seeing that not only am I teaching C++ and SFML, but I am creating a game from scratch to release in that time.

I hope you enjoy the series, if you have any feedback for me, please don't hesitate to mention it.

Here is the series link

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs6oRBoE2-Q_fX_rzraQekRoL7Kr7s5xi
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 08:50:25 pm by FantasyVI »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: SFML tutorial series
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 05:48:25 pm »
Sounds interesting, but also very time intensive for someone to completely follow ;D

Do you have a plan on how to tackle the 2D Dungeon RPG?
Like explaining the C++ and SFML basics I guess can to some extended by "winged", but creating a fully polished game, takes a lot more planning and designing, than what you will probably be able to do on 30min to 2h livestreams. Looking at released SFML games which I followed the development, each of them took more than a year and they spent on average more than 2h per day.
I guess the goal isn't to have the best game, but hope you're not underestimating the effort required - don't forget the 80-20 rule. :D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

FantasyVI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML tutorial series
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 08:00:13 pm »
Sounds interesting, but also very time intensive for someone to completely follow ;D

Do you have a plan on how to tackle the 2D Dungeon RPG?
Like explaining the C++ and SFML basics I guess can to some extended by "winged", but creating a fully polished game, takes a lot more planning and designing, than what you will probably be able to do on 30min to 2h livestreams. Looking at released SFML games which I followed the development, each of them took more than a year and they spent on average more than 2h per day.
I guess the goal isn't to have the best game, but hope you're not underestimating the effort required - don't forget the 80-20 rule. :D

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. I completely forgot to check back here :D

I agree It will take time and planning. I anticipate that the first maybe 10 hours will be very popular, the next 90 hours will be less so, and finally, maybe only a handful of people will stick around to the very end. I hope that is not the case, but from looking at different streamers / YouTubers, that seems the case.

As for the RPG game, I have a plan in mind of how I want the gameplay to be and how the code structure will be, I am trying to scope this down as much as humanly possible but at the same time making a polished product that is fun.

For the game itself, I won't do anything too complex, just an editor, quest system, inventory, a few enemy types, few puzzles, and I will create tools so the community can create their own dungeons and enemy types.

It is going to be a challenge and it might take more than a year if I am streaming 2 hours a day, but I will try my best to fit as much as possible in a year. Only time will tell.

I really want to be able to show people how to create a fully finished product and release it on stream. My plan is to make the game open sources. Let see if I manage to get it done

SFML is one of my most beloved libraries, and I really want to make a game in it. After this project is done, I will probably jump into another library like MonoGame and make another series on how to make a full game using that library. Will see. Let me finish this one first :D

anything