Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML and Networking - looking for a wise jump off point/ book / resource etc.  (Read 4064 times)

RyanPaul87

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi SFML community, and admin team!

I'm just delving into networking with sfml, and looked at a few boost tutorials. I realise this question has been asked a lot and some people don't follow this path to completion.

I'm currently signed off work long term with mental health ups and downs (nothing too serious) and have a year to myself essentially and want to help myself heal with a bit of coding (logic)

I wanted some 'pre' wisdom and advice before I go too far down the 'wrong' path.

I'd like to grab myself a book on c++ networking or some solid resource so in the next month or two I'm in a stronger position to look at designing an average (or at least a basic foundation) server / client architecture that will support a small 2d online game (upto 50-100 clients maybe, but then might be something I can adapt too over time.

It would be all the usual, sending some raw image data, player positions and player statistics, as well as getting some understanding on prediction models, so the server might predict where the player will walk and save on bandwidth, as well as other strategies. Can you suggest:

• Any beginners (through to intermedia / advanced) books or tutorials that are relevant but also practical and current enough.

Any goto source code you might recommend

Any wisdom yourself

The best libraries you might recommend.

Any small / medium similar projects I should look at

Thank you.