Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ball Defender!  (Read 3545 times)

Ball Defender!
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:29:59 pm »
Hi, This is my first game! it is simple , you have to destroy computer's balls before they get through your wall , balls can only destroy balls of the SAME color.
Use your left mouse button to shoot and your right mouse button to switch the color.
It is freeware so give it a try ;)

Download link: http://www.filefront.com/17292628/Ball-Defender.zip/

Have Fun  :D

Finn

• View Profile
Ball Defender!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:20 pm »
What about a Linux build? :)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Ball Defender!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:34:39 pm »
Nice game, I like the idea. :)

However, it's quite tedious to cycle through all colors. I think, it wouldn't be bad if you could use the mouse wheel (forwards and backwards) or press a corresponding key. And if the currently selected color is displayed anywhere (on the paddle, for example).

Also, the gameplay might become more interesting, if the distance between the ball shooter and the player paddle is bigger (i.e. smaller, slower balls), while there may be multiple balls at a time. If they appear in irregular intervals, it can become quite challenging. Another possibility is to add power-ups or items, like wall fortification/repair, shoot multiple "anti-balls", freeze the enemy movement for a second, ...

Just some thoughts, I'm sure there are a lot of possibilities to expand Ball Defender (given you want to continue developping it). ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Ball Defender!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the replays.
What about a Linux build? Smile

Sorry but I havent worked with linux before. i have once heard about a project called wine, it may help.

Nice game, I like the idea. Smile

However, it's quite tedious to cycle through all colors. I think, it wouldn't be bad if you could use the mouse wheel (forwards and backwards) or press a corresponding key. And if the currently selected color is displayed anywhere (on the paddle, for example).

Also, the gameplay might become more interesting, if the distance between the ball shooter and the player paddle is bigger (i.e. smaller, slower balls), while there may be multiple balls at a time. If they appear in irregular intervals, it can become quite challenging. Another possibility is to add power-ups or items, like wall fortification/repair, shoot multiple "anti-balls", freeze the enemy movement for a second, ...

Just some thoughts, I'm sure there are a lot of possibilities to expand Ball Defender (given you want to continue developping it). Wink

almost all what you have said got to my mind, but i was so eager and wanted to release it quickly :wink:  . the problem now that i will begin the new semester after a few day  :cry:  , and when the semester begins my time 'decays exponentially' to zero  :D  ( i'm studying mechatronics engineering by the way ), and can you help with the mouse wheel issue , i mean it is not very well explained in the tutorials , i mean on what 'delta'  should i change the color? .

- Have Fun  :D

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Ball Defender!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »
Quote from: "mbonez89"
and can you help with the mouse wheel issue , i mean it is not very well explained in the tutorials , i mean on what 'delta'  should i change the color?
You could take a look at the documentation (here for SFML 2):
http://www.sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0/structsf_1_1Event_1_1MouseWheelEvent.htm
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: