Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fairly unnerving problem  (Read 2293 times)

Alan

• View Profile
Fairly unnerving problem
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:21:56 am »
Well, to start with, I'm basically just learning my way through SFML. I've downloaded and built SFML2, 1.6, and even the binaries for 1.6, just in case, and my strange problem still occurs.

I've tested it with VC2008, VC2010, and MinGW, with identical results on each. The problem is, basically, that once SFML has created its window, I seem to be able to hear constant hard drive activity, or something else, at an unusually high frequency, sound-wise. The instant I kill the program, the noise stops.

So, just to help the far more knowledgeable people out there with as much information I can provide:

Code: [Select]
#include <SFML\Graphics.hpp>

//Variables, etc.
sf::Event Event;

bool running = true;
//Variables, etc.

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
sf::RenderWindow Game (sf::VideoMode (1280, 720, 32), "Lolwindow");

while (running)
{

while (Game.GetEvent (Event))
{
if (Event.Type == sf::Event::Closed)
Game.Close();

if ((Event.Type == sf::Event::KeyPressed) && (Event.Key.Code == sf::Key::Escape))
Game.Close();

}

Game.Display();

}

return 1;
}

Also, in VC2010's output thingy, I see this once terminating the program (aside from the usual PDB file errors):
"First-chance exception at 0x0062a001 in SFML2Test.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because SFML really is nice.. aside from this one problem I'm having.

Spodi

• View Profile
    • http://www.netgore.com/
Fairly unnerving problem
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:22:02 am »
Are you sure its your HDD, and not your video card whining? Or some other component?

Just for the record, I also hear some kind of whine from some piece of hardware when I use SFML with shaders. I just figured it was my GPU under stress or "something".

*shrugs*

Alan

• View Profile
Fairly unnerving problem
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:43:22 am »
That's a possibility, but I've not heard a noise like this before. There is a friend of mine who had a similar problem. In Mass Effect 2, while in the menu screen (the pause screen), he would get a weird high-pitched noise coming from his computer. I forget what he narrowed it down to, but..

Yeah, that's the only parallel I can draw from this.

Svenstaro

• View Profile
Fairly unnerving problem
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:51:34 am »
What you are experiencing is most likely coil whine.

Nothing to worry about. Be thankful you cannot hear the other frequencies it vibrates at.

Alan

• View Profile
Fairly unnerving problem
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:14:59 am »
Having tested out Folding@Home quickly, I do hear something similar, though quieter, and at a slightly lower frequency. I'll consider that sorted until something explodes. :P

What I'm still confused about is the "First-chance exception at 0x0062a001 in SFML2Test.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation." that I see.