Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Input needed... v1.6 vs. SVN v2.0  (Read 4717 times)

Galaxy613

• MSN Messenger - the_ckarl@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Galaxy613
    • View Profile
Input needed... v1.6 vs. SVN v2.0
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:24 am »
Hey everybody!

Next January I will be getting a lot more time on my hands so I am looking to bring back an old game project of mine. So I've been looking at good 2D game engines/frameworks. SFML seems to fit the bill. I originally was developing with BlitzMax, which has worked out fine but it does not support shaders, something I want to take advantage of to add an effect to make the ships brighter towards the sun.

The game is in the same blood as Escape Velocity: Nova, Transcendence, and other top-down space shooter/traders. Here is a screenshot. I can see about uploading the latest version of it if anyone is interested.

I also wanted to take this time to revamp the UI and other things. So my question is, should I wait for v2.0 be released, or should I dive in now, either with v1.6 or the SVN version of v2.0?

I appreciate any input! :)

Recruit0

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:23:28 am »
Looks interesting :)

I suggest using SFML 1.6 as it's more stable (and more tested). SFML 2 is still in development.

As for UI, I'm updating a GUI called "cpGUI" that should be ready for beta release in a week or 2. For more info, see:

http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1517&start=60

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:49:39 am »
I'd say to aim for SFML 2.0 instead. The actual svn revision is quite stable, the only risk is a probable heavy change in one or another sfml modules, but in fact, 2.0 has features that 1.6 don't offer yet and that can be really usefull. (Look 1.6 and 2.0 Doc to see the changes.)

Also, many GUI project on both forums and wiki are made for SFML 2.0.

I would prefer following 2.0 evolution step by step instead of going to 1.6 and having a really massive revision of my engine to do when 2.0 will be definitely released.

For GUI list :
http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2518

Spodi

• View Profile
    • http://www.netgore.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:04:02 am »
I, too, would suggest SFML 2.0. More people using it means more testing, combined with the reasons Spidyy mentioned. I personally haven't had much problem at all with 2.0, and Laurent is usually very quick on the fixes.

Galaxy613

• MSN Messenger - the_ckarl@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Galaxy613
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 03:30:10 am »
Thanks for the input everyone! I will probably take a look into the SVN and how to use cmake. :D

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:52:19 pm »
If you're not used to cmake, you can load an older revision and wait for CMake tutorials. =p

anything